LTE to Pybytes only?

• Hi there,
    I'm just starting out using a Fipy with a Vodafone Sim (bought through Pycom.)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does it mean that 'Pycom’s NB-IoT connectivity provision has been configured to work only with Pycom’s Pybytes platform' ?
    Does this mean that you can only ever connect to the Pybytes website using the Vodafone Sim, or that you can only set up/manage the Sim on Pybytes?

At the moment I can connect to LTE fine (using the Pycom example) - retrieving the address of Pybytes. I've found a few forums where people have managed to connect to say, Google (sometimes using numerical addresses), but some other people seem to be unable to do this (me included!) Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help

• Currently, you can already use Pymakr online to update the micropython code, and use Pybytes to update the firmware. I believe both should work over LTE as well.
    I will add the feature you describe to the feature list, as sending custom downlink messages is currently not possible in the interface.

• Thank you very much for clarifying
    Just another quick question - will it also it possible to downlink data from Pybytes to the device via LTE (or indeed Wifi/LoRa etc) or is this still being implemented? Cheers

• The Vodafone simcard that you find in the Pycom webshop can indeed only be used in combination with the Pybytes platform. It is not possible to visit any other websites or connect to any other services. The same holds for the 1nce simcards that recently became available in the webshop as well.

If you want to connect to other services than Pybytes, I recommend you use a third-party NB-IoT or CAT-M1 compatible simcard. Make sure it specifies either network explicitely.

Pycom on Twitter