GPY MIA

• I've got a GPY gone missing in action. I can erase the flash with the windows cmd line

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update>pycom-fwtool-cli.exe -p COM3 erase_all
    Running in FTDI mode
    Erasing the board can take up to 40 seconds.
    Board erased successfully in 7.6 seconds

& download firmware into with the pycom updater, but the only response it will give in Atom is

Connecting to COM3...
    ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
    waiting for download

If I try to download anything, it always fails.

Uploading project (flash)...
    Safe booting device... (see settings for more info)
    Safe boot failed, uploading anyway.
    Upload failed: timeout. Please reboot your device manually.

Any thoughts on how I might get it working with Atom again?

• @kjm Still keen to chase down this dead modem problem Gijs but need a photo of the alternate modem Tx pin that matches the underside of the gpy

• @kjm The RGB Led is connected to P2. Therefore, when connecting P2 externally, it tends to flicker. I had a board once with a defective RGB led, which I then replaced.

• Tried using pycom.lte_modem_en_on_boot(1) to encourage the sequans back, no luck. Any chance of some details of the gpy underside pads so we can try the dual uart adapter idea?

• @kjm Hallelujah, GPY has done a Lazarus & is back from the dead Gijs, blue led flashing again, P2 sitting at the right voltage, the full porky. If you could provide details of the GPY underside test pads I'd be keen to try your dual UART adapter scheme for checking out the unresponsive sequans.

• I briefly bridged P2 to 3v3 Gijs and the output permanently changed changed to

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
    flash read err, 1000
    ets_main.c 371 
    ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

even after the bridge was removed.

Then I bridged P2 to 0v & reflashed with the pymakr updater (removing the P2 short when done) which put it back into update mode. Could this be down to a faulty RGB led? If so I could unsolder it maybe? I ask because usually the RGB led flashes some random colour when the P2 short to ground is removed after an updater tool reflash but this GPY doesn't do that.

I note the P2 pin on this GPY sits @ 1v when not bridged to 3v3/0v whereas on a functional GPY it sits @ 0v with brief excursions to 3v3 every 4s when the RGB led flashes blue..

• @kjm said in GPY MIA:

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
    waiting for download

The waiting for download mentioned here is the firmware update mode. For some reason, P2 (IO0) is held low, putting the device into firmware update mode. You can use the firmware updater tool to actually commend the update, after which it should go back to normal. Generally a power cycle will also release this mode, depending on the cause.

Pycom on Twitter