Has Pycom given up supporting legacy products?

• I have many Gpy's in use for our company. I have had some issues which I brought up ~2 months ago, asking for help every other week. I have not received a single response from Pycom.

Micropython firmware is considerably out of date and I haven't seen any updates on that front nor planned updates in a considerable amount of time.

Pycom continues to release new products but seems to have abandoned its original user base.

Is anything I'm saying inaccurate? I'm coming very close to telling our company we have to make some changes and abandon Pycom as Pycom has abandoned us.

• @James-Pruet This combination of a STM32 with ARM7 core and Muarata radio is on a Pyboard D-SF6, and works pretty well.

• Yeah, and micropython is still supported which is nice. I do wonder about power consumption with the 32-bit ARM®Cortex ® -M7 they are using vs ESP32 S3. I also hope this "Device Cloud" isn't somehow forced but just optional (from press release yesterday).

• @James-Pruet The new modules based on the STM controller and the Muarata Radio look like the better platform.

• @robert-hh Good to know, thank you. Well, with the OEM modules coming out, I'm ok with this. Hopefully they get back to the firmware side of things with their big OEM push.

• @James-Pruet The have sent an E-Mail to their custormers. Part of that reads:

Announcing the “End of Life” of our current portfolio
    Since we designed, developed, and launched our existing range of products from 2015 onwards, a number of components used have become / are becoming obsolete. This, in addition to the current complexities with component sourcing means that it is no longer viable to maintain the existing portfolio. It is therefore our intent to phase out the following product range (powered by the ESP32) by December 2022:

WiPy3
    LoPy4
    FiPy
    GPy
    L01
    L04
    G01
    W01

Invitation to Last Time Buy
    We invite all our customers to place a last time buy order for the following ESP32 legacy products: L01, G01, W01, LoPy4, FiPy and GPy. We will then in turn place a last time order on our factories with a view to supplying these by December 2022.

• @robert-hh Where did they announce that? And does that mean the whole GPy / FiPy / etc. line is going away or it's being updated and older versions of it will no longer be supported?

• @James-Pruet Pycom just announced that they will not sell the legacy products any more after 2022. Support will fade away even further then, I guess.

• @Bettina I don't have a ticket, I was hoping you'd have developers interested in what bugs users are experiencing by reading the forums and trying to fix said bugs... like pretty much any other reputable hardware/software company.

This still doesn't answer the question though. I'm not asking about ticketing systems, does Pycom have anyone developing legacy products still? Is there a single developer dedicated to GPy or FiPy? Are those projects just completely frozen/dead?

• administrators

@jcaron Hi James, We have had some issues staffing our support ticketing system which has now been resolved. If you send me an email (bettina@pycom.io) with your ticket number I'll try and push it up the queue.

• @James-Pruet said in Has Pycom given up supporting legacy products?:

Pycom continues to release new products

I’d rather say they continue to announce new products rather than actually release new ones.

https://forum.pycom.io/topic/6929/micropython-version-update/10

Pycom on Twitter