Getting started with PyGos and Pylife

• Pybytes Beta

This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @hjoe Yes, the state is chaotic, and Pycom i silent. Very frustrating for users like us. When you connect the cradle to a USB serial terminal at 115200 baud, do you get any boot up messages, of a Python REPL prompt?

• Pybytes Beta

@robert-hh
    unfortunately we have two "Getting started with PyGos and Pylife", one at /Home/PyGo the other one at /Home/Pylife. But are two needed as long as neither Pylife nor PyGos are working.
    Robert, I got a gradle, but was not able to update the firmware as described in the other forum.
    As long as only frustrated users are talking to each other without comments from Pycom, its more or less useless.

• @Axel-Roest If you have the cradle, connect it to a USB serial terminal. When the device boot, it shows it's type in the boot message.

• How to determine the difference between the PyGo 1 and PyGo 2?

The app explicitely lists them separately, but I cannot see from the outside which one is the version 1 or 2. And the app doesn't work of course, as it cannot add the devices (because they already exists), nor update the firmware (because it can't find them).

Such is (py)life!
    It's mid August; two months after release, and Pycom still has not fixed their software, leaving thousands of people with broken devices, and NO WORD from pycom, which is even worse.

• @Brian-Wyld
    In the Netherlands I had to pay € 40,44, which is a steep increase in price indeed.

Thoroughly unsatisfied about that, and to add insult to injury, the devices do not work either!

• @Pete-Allen-0 said in Getting started with PyGos and Pylife:

Welcome to the PyLife section of the forum. This is a space for discussion and help about using PyGos with the Pylife app.
    The first place to go to get started with PyGos is our documentation:
    https://docs.pycom.io/pylife/

This should cover everything to get you up and running, and please say if there are things that aren't clear.

For those of you who like to plug things in and try them out before reading and documentation: it is important to do a firmware upgrade as soon as you turn the PyGo on.

If you are on Android, please make sure you are using the most recent version of the app.

Thanks for all your useless points sorry to say :( Docs I got time to read it before receiving device, firmware update has been done and so far has been only thing I have been able to do with the device :(, Android app up-to-date as it has been downloaded from play store just 2 days ago....
    So far I'm unable to wake up device, and unable to use it for anything, it doesn't report anything in mobile app, unable to setup Lora frequency !! For me it's clearly a not finished product with unusable firmware ! How can you ship and sell such products without big warning on your website of the shitty state of firmware and app to use it (sorry to be rude but it's exactly state of it as I can see it on my own unit and reading forum...)
    Last most important point: do you plan and when to release a working firmware for at least features announced on your website ? or should I return it straight for refund ?

• Hi

As it looks I'm unable to open a new thread (that forum looks as buggy as all Pycom products....), just wanted to report I have received my Pycom1 today and I confirm it heats a lot while charging, battery icon feels only at half when fully charged but app says 70%... and no way to setup anything in app although it succeeds to connect easily with Pycom1
    Any chances of fix ? or should I return it straight for full refund for defective by design product ? Next time will do more searches on internet before buying a geek product !

Thanks

Vincèn

• @Pete-Allen-0 Would you have any sort of update you'd be able to share with us?

Are you guys working on some firmware fix? The GPS not locking should be the most important one. Any approximate ETA?

Any comments on the pygo2 esim/sim ?

• I always like when Pycom is selling something without:

1. Full test of the hardware.
    2. Having already firmware supported all hardware properties and goals.

It is even not funny especially if you Pycom release new hardware which replace all previous devices
    without backward compatibility. You do not need to hurry.
    It is new product and you should learn from the past mistakes with e.g. deep sleep problems with
    old hardware (do you remember deepsleep shield?) to not sell something without full support in the firmware.

I buy many items from China and they have full description, full pinouts, depend of item kind full sample application code for Arduino IDE or something like this. I plug device and it is working, all properies of device are working, then i only addapt this example code to my needs / goals. Thats it, nothing more, nothing less, simple expectations.

• @andreas58 Ok would you have the model somewhere?

Also, I've found that they've removed all QI charging mentions from the docs, so it seems to be an issue that they couldn't fix.
    https://github.com/pycom/pycom-documentation/pull/501/files

• @Gaetan-Gueraud I had some pogo pins to make the connection.

• @thinginnovations Looks like I managed to kind-of-brick my PyGo2 by calling ntp_on_boot(). Now it reboots every minute, and shows an error message:

>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "_main_pybytes.py", line 78, in <module>
    TypeError: can't convert 'NoneType' object to str implicitly

Maybe it tries to get a time, does not get one, there is no error handling, and boom! Firmware update does not help, since it does not erase flash to get in a new clean state.

• @robert-hh I saw there was a an app update, so tried it. No change.

Thanks

Andrew

• @Whatamiseeing Not fixing anything, just showing there is a problem.

• @Gaetan-Gueraud The device charges in the cradle. Using the cradle, you can connect via USB and get a REPL prompt abd use it like a generic esp32 device. You can as well update the firmware.
    When trying the APP, you will see at the serial console error messages, which demonstrate that App and PyGo firmware do not match.
    I could not tell whether the PyGo2 connects to LTE or LoRa or gets a GPS fix.
    At the moment, The PyGo seems pretty useless, and there is no communication from Pycom about fixing the firmware and making the devices work as promised.

• @robert-hh Ok so then the app is also missing the Esim configuration then..

Does it actually charge with the cradle? Can you do something with it?
    I didn't get a cradle because I assumed it came with some sort of charger and now I can only charge with QI which as I've read and found out doesn't actually charge.
    The location doesn't seems to update on the app.
    Overall the product doesn't seem to work and I'm considering asking a refund under the EU consumer rights.

• @Gaetan-Gueraud There is no SIM card slot at the final design. The SIM is built-in, it's said. I faintly recall, that was mentioned in one of the posts aiming at IP67 certification.
    Which SIM and which service level is unknown, but only matters when the device are working eventually.

• I've realised that there's a Specsheet that contains quite a bit of information in the Getting Started page

It shows the location of a sim car slot, but I can't see it on my device I'm wondering now if I got sent a PyGo1 in a PyGo2 box
    @Gustav-Hilding

Pycom on Twitter