Pycom Sigfox - Weak Signal Reception

• Good day

Problem:

According to the Sigfox coverage network on site our area has great reception. But if I use the standard 868MHz, 190mm Areal (NEW) and send Data (only 3 Bytes) every 5 minutes. I am only able to receive 2 messages in a Hour. Out Area is South Africa (RCZ1).

My Question:

What is the output power that the Pycom Sipy Module supply to the Antenna? and can I use a two meter antenna on the Pycom Sipy Module to boost the signal?

Or is there some thing else that i could look at?

Code Example:

import socket
    import pycom
    import time

from network import Sigfox
    from machine import Timer

#********************* Setup Comms *********************#
    sigfox = Sigfox(mode=Sigfox.SIGFOX, rcz=Sigfox.RCZ1)
    time.sleep(1)
    s = socket.socket(socket.AF_SIGFOX, socket.SOCK_RAW)
    time.sleep(1)
    s.setblocking(True)
    time.sleep(1)
    s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SIGFOX, socket.SO_RX, False)
    time.sleep(1)

#********************* Send Bytes Interupt *********************#
    def MsgTimer_Handler(arg):
    print("Sending message")
    s.send(bytes([0x01, 0x02, 0x03]))

#********************* Timer *********************#
    MsgTimer = Timer.Alarm(MsgTimer_Handler, 300, periodic=True)
    print("Timer Started...")

while True:
    print(str(sigfox.rssi()))
    time.sleep(1)

• @Jaco-Pretorius In RC1, there is a duty cycle limit at 1%, measured per hour.

This means you can send at most 6 messages per hour (6 messages taking 6 seconds of airtime each = 36 seconds per hour = 1%, so one message every 5 minutes is not possible.

Not sure how or why you then only get 2, but it may be related to how the duty cycle limit is implemented.

Regarding the antenna, a larger antenna is not necessarily better, what makes a difference is antenna gain (a bit, but watch out for EIRP limits!) and line-of-sight.

You can try to test outside, in an area with no obstacles around (buildings, trees, hills), on a high point, to see if that makes a difference.

But change your interval first, set it to 10 minutes or more to see the result.

Pycom on Twitter