UART 0 flow control not working

• Hello.

My application needs flow control on both serial ports.
    For this reason, I am doing some tests using the Expansion board and a SiPy module.
    All jumpers on the expansion board are inserted.

I have the following code to initialize the UART0 serial port:

uart = UART(0, pins=("G2", "G1","G7", "G6"))
    uart.init(115200, bits=8, parity=None, stop=1, pins=("G2", "G1","G7", "G6"))

while(True):
    time.sleep(1)
    uart.write("Hello")

Running this code, I can see the word "Hello" printed each second on my RealTherm interface.

0_1489658618671_RealThermWindow.png

If I deassert the RTS line to stop the communication (I've even checked the line using a tester), the SiPy module continues to send data.
    Why the RTS line doesn't pause the communication? What's wrong?
    Is my init code wrong? Or the flow control is not really implemented at low level?

Thankyou.

Regards.

• Any news regarding RTS/CTS flow control? In my opinion it still does not work.

• Hello.

Tryed again to use the flow control, without success.
    Has anybody already used the serial port flow control?
    Is it a usable feature? Or is currently in a developing state?

Thanks.

• @livius

In boot.py I have the following code:

from machine import UART
    import os

# uart = UART(0, 115200)
    # os.dupterm(uart)

@jmarcelino

I've tryed your suggestion, swapping all pins (as follow):

uart = UART(0, pins=(Pin.exp_board.G1, Pin.exp_board.G2, Pin.exp_board.G6, Pin.exp_board.G7))
    uart.init(115200, bits=8, parity=None, stop=1, pins=(Pin.exp_board.G1, Pin.exp_board.G2, Pin.exp_board.G6, Pin.exp_board.G7)) 
    while(True):
        time.sleep(1)
        uart.write("Hello")

The strange thing is that the UART still prin "Hello" in my terminal... it seems that the pin association doesn't work (as you suggested, my expetation was to see nothing printed in the terminal)

Does anybody have already used serial port with the flow control enabled successfully?

Thanks

Regards

• @sriboli
    what do you have in boot.py?

• I don't know a lot about the UART so don't take this as what's really happening. However the documentation for UART.init() says:

uart.init(baudrate=9600, bits=8, parity=None, stop=1, *, timeout_chars=2, pins=(TXD, RXD, RTS, CTS))

Yet you're calling with uart = UART(0, pins=("G2", "G1","G7", "G6"))

G2 on the expansion board is RXD, not TXD, and vice-versa for G1. CTS is also swapped with RTS in your init.

So shouldn't it be uart = UART(0, pins=("G1", "G2","G6", "G7"))?

However that raises a question why does UART still print - and I'm wondering if there's a reason you can't change the parameters UART0. Maybe it's attached to the terminal via dupterm?

Have you tried this in UART1?

• @bucknall

Yes, I've just tryed the following code, but doesn't work!

uart = UART(0, pins=(Pin.exp_board.G2, Pin.exp_board.G1, Pin.exp_board.G7, Pin.exp_board.G6))

uart.init(115200, bits=8, parity=None, stop=1, pins=(Pin.exp_board.G2, Pin.exp_board.G1, Pin.exp_board.G7, Pin.exp_board.G6)) 

while(True):
        time.sleep(1)
        uart.write("Hello")

Even if I deassert RTS, the SiPy module continues to send data.
    What's wrong?

Thankyou.

Regards.

• This post is deleted!

• Hi @sriboli have you specified that you're using the expansion board pin references in your code? E.g. :

Pin.exp_board.G16

https://docs.pycom.io/pycom_esp32/library/machine.Pin.html#machine.pin.exp_board

Pycom on Twitter