How to solve the firmware update failures

• Hi Daniel,

Thanks a lot indeed!

I'm trying to run the tool in windows but I get:

C:\Users\Corné\Downloads\flash_debug_tool\flash_debug_tool>python flash_debug.py COM3 write 0x0 2
    Connecting...
    Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "flash_debug.py", line 183, in <module>
    esp_dev = esptool.ESP32ROM(port,115200)
    File "C:\Users\CornÚ\Downloads\flash_debug_tool\flash_debug_tool\esptool.py", line 167, in __init__
    self.connect()
    File "C:\Users\CornÚ\Downloads\flash_debug_tool\flash_debug_tool\esptool.py", line 299, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_exception))
    esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP32: Invalid head of packet ('\x08')

This is different from choosing an invalid serial port: that results in:

C:\Users\Corné\Downloads\flash_debug_tool\flash_debug_tool>python flash_debug.py COM2 write 0x0 2
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "flash_debug.py", line 183, in <module>
        esp_dev = esptool.ESP32ROM(port,115200)
      File "C:\Users\CornÚ\Downloads\flash_debug_tool\flash_debug_tool\esptool.py", line 159, in __init__
        self._port = serial.Serial(port)
      File "C:\Python273\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 31, in __init__
        super(Serial, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
      File "C:\Python273\lib\site-packages\serial\serialutil.py", line 236, in __init__
        self.open()
      File "C:\Python273\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 62, in open
        raise SerialException("could not open port {!r}: {!r}".format(self.portstr, ctypes.WinError()))
    serial.serialutil.SerialException: could not open port 'COM2': WindowsError(2, 'Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.')

I did close down PyMakr first.

Guess I'll switch to my Linux Box now :-)

• @LoneTech thanks for the feedback. I've added an extra step to indicate that the cable jumper must be removed before running the firmware updater again.

Thank you! Providing this patch on a weekend is a step above and beyond. :)

Your are welcome! Our first priority right now is to give the best possible support and complete the firmware as soon as we can. Our tech team is working almost 24/7 with these goals in mind.

• Thank you! Providing this patch on a weekend is a step above and beyond. :)

This unlock procedure worked perfectly on the one board I've tested so far. The other two locked ones are at a different location, and our remaining seven updated earlier, one of which took two tries, which is not a huge deal.

The bootstrap cable used here means P2 must not be tied to ground in general, as it triggers the low level bootloader. That sort of thing should go in the documentation somewhere. Also, this being a workaround, don't apply the unlock if you don't need it.

Pycom on Twitter