Initial issues with the LoPy

• Hi,

Here is my current list of issues with the LoPy. Can anyone help me with these please?

1. The updater doesn't work on OSX Yosemite. When I open the application, nothing happens. When I open the application via open Pymakr.app I get:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/Pymakr.app.

Same deal with the updater. I also haven't been able to update with the FTP server (see below).

1. Any flash writes are not persisting. Whenever I update boot.py (either via REPL or via FTP) and reboot, the boot.py file is reverted to the original one. I tried updating using the FTP server, but I'm pretty sure it didn't do anything. I tried to flash the "lopy_0.9.0.b2_915" firmware, but my os.uname() is still:

(sysname='ESP32', nodename='ESP32', release='0.9.0b', version='8785822 on 2016-10-06', machine='LoPy with ESP32')

I have successfully flashed my WiPy before, so I am pretty sure I know what I am doing (and I used the same settings in filezilla)

1. There isn't any pinout information available beyond which pins are power and which are GPIO: https://docs.pycom.io/lopy/lopy/quickref.html - I'd really like to know which pins are the UART ones! (and the SPI, ADC, etc)

Thanks!

• @matamune Thank you very much for your detailed post. It will be really helpful to improve the tool.

• @matamune said in Initial issues with the LoPy:

@abilio said in Initial issues with the LoPy:

@jeremy About the Mac updater, at present time we're only supporting OS X 10.11.6 or newer. This can change in the future, but thanks for the feedback on a different version.

Hi there,
    I just received my lopy and I wanted to update my lopys' firmware but I got the error LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 when I run open /Applications/Pycom\ Firmware\ Update.app/ and open /Applications/Pymakr.app/ and I am under macOS Siera (so 10.12).

Is there any way to upgrade the firmware and use the pymakr application ?

Thank you :)

So, I solved my issue.

It was due to an error with QT and libpng :
    gabi@MacBook-Pro:/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/MacOS$ DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH="${DIR}/Frameworks" DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="${DIR}/Resources/lib" "${DIR}/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/pythonw" "${DIR}/Resources/src/lopyupdate.py" "$@" Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/src/lopyupdate.py", line 9, in <module> from PyQt4 import QtGui ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyQt4/QtGui.so, 2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpng16.16.dylib Referenced from: /Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui Reason: Incompatible library version: QtGui requires version 38.0.0 or later, but libpng16.16.dylib provides version 35.0.0

So I had to install/update libpng with brew (brew install libpng) and then I manually copied the files from /usr/local/opt/libpng/bin into /opt/local/lib/ and it worked.

• @jeremy
    be sure to use machine.reset() after update
    or
    power off
    Have the same issue on mac el captain, using Windows 10 works
    On my mac pyserial don't work.
    On mac you could try to extract lopy_0.9.1.b1_868 or lopy_0.9.1.b1_915 depends your countrie from app
    and next ftp lopy firmware to /flash/sys/appimg.bin

• @abilio said in Initial issues with the LoPy:

@jeremy About the Mac updater, at present time we're only supporting OS X 10.11.6 or newer. This can change in the future, but thanks for the feedback on a different version.

Hi there,
    I just received my lopy and I wanted to update my lopys' firmware but I got the error LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 when I run open /Applications/Pycom\ Firmware\ Update.app/ and open /Applications/Pymakr.app/ and I am under macOS Siera (so 10.12).

Is there any way to upgrade the firmware and use the pymakr application ?

Thakn you :)

• @jeremy
    As for question 3:
    UART0 RX = P0
    UART0 TX = P1

• @LoneTech you should contact @daniel

• What's the solution for changes not persisting? I have a LoPy that doesn't accept firmware changes, immediately forgets any new files, and forgets any new data in boot.py. That is, the file size changes but the data is all NUL. Firmware updates don't seem to affect it either.

Edit: solved, see thread How to solve the firmware update failures

• I just got the binary image from the updated package. There is information in the documentation on how to update the lopy via ftp. Make sure to rename the file to the correct format before updating

I worked out my lopy was broken because changes to boot.py would not persist, and the exact same changes would persist on many other devices. Just this evening, @daniel helped me to get it working again.

• It's the same method as the WiPy 1.0. Just rename the binary to appimg.bin and put it inside /flash/sys/.

• @DarkHawk Ive been able to update one of my two LoPy's with the standalone updater under Windows 7 without needing to link pins or anything. My other LoPy wont update from WIndows or OSX and just says failed after 30 seconds or so. Maybe one of mine is broken - how did you ascertain yours was broken?

I thought there was a way of updating the LoPy via ftp but can't find a binary firmware image and am not sure if it is the same method as the WiPy/WiPy2

• @jeremy About the Mac updater, at present time we're only supporting OS X 10.11.6 or newer. This can change in the future, but thanks for the feedback on a different version.

• Thanks @DarkHawk , turns out my LoPy is actually broken which is why it wasn't receiving the updates

• @jeremy for me the ide also did nothing (on Mac) but the stand-alone updater did the job for me (the lopy has to be in setup mode)

• I also have just tried to update with the command line tool with no luck:

$ python2 updater.py --file lopy_0.9.0.b2_915.bin --verify --ip 192.168.4.1 --board LoPy

Connected via Telnet, trying to login now
    Telnet login succeeded, lets check the git tag
    Board name OK
    FTP connection established
    Login successful
    Entered '/flash/sys' directory
    Firmware image found, initiating transfer...
    File transfer complete
    Telnet login succeeded
    Reset performed
    Waiting for the WiFi connection to come up again...
    Telnet login succeeded, lets check the git tag
    Exception: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'lopy_0.9.0.b2_915genhdr/mpversion.h', on line 251`

And os.uname() still reports the old version:

(sysname='ESP32', nodename='ESP32', release='0.9.0b', version='8785822 on 2016-10-06', machine='LoPy with ESP32')

Pycom on Twitter