LoPy deepsleep general issues/questions

• Hello, I need to use deepsleep to reduce the power consumption in order to send some sensor data with LoRa. I really need it because without it LoPy consumes 100mA.

So, from what I read here the deepsleep works like a reset, it will not run the code wirtten afterwards and it will repeat main.py (so i don't need to implement a while loop ?). The problems are the following:

First of all, I have this one regarding the library :

File "/flash/lib/deepsleep.py", line 32, in init
    ValueError: invalid argument(s) value

At line 32 : self.uart = UART(1, baudrate=10000, pins=(COMM_PIN, ))
    It is ok after COMM_PIN to be blank space ? The lib is taken from here https://github.com/pycom/pycom-libraries/tree/master/deepsleep and I've done the latest firmware upgrade.

From what I know the deepsleep can be implemented with command line like : ds.go_to_sleep( number of seconds ), if I have LoPy+deepsleep shield+Pysense can I still use it? Or shoud I try machine.sleep(number of seconds) ?(And what is the difference?)

Last one: if it runs the main.py continously why do I need to use nvram_save / nvram_restore ? The process is : read data -> send it -> sleep -> repeat.

Thank you in advance !!!

• @johncaipa I have quite a lot of stuff going on in my code, but the main differences from yours are:

• I always to the initial join manually, so I don't try to detect whether that already happened or not.
    • I use OTAA joins
    • I keep the socket blocking
    • I do wake on pin using the Pysense

Here's a slimmed down version. Important! Don't use this code as is! This code requires a Pysense firmware which supports INT wake-up.

from network import LoRa
    from network import WLAN
    from network import Server
    import socket
    import time
    import binascii
    from pysense import Pysense
    import pycom
    import machine

app_version = '2017-10-31-01'

SLEEP = 150

py = Pysense()

def read_pin():
        return 1 if py.peek_memory(0xE) & 0x02 else 0

pycom.heartbeat(0)

app_eui = binascii.unhexlify('***')
    app_key = binascii.unhexlify('***')

# Whatever happens, init the LoRa stack and (try to) restore its state
    lora = LoRa(mode=LoRa.LORAWAN, adr=True)
    lora.nvram_restore()

# This part is not called from the code, only manually
    def doJoin(lora):
        print(time.localtime(),"LoRa join")
        lora.join(activation=LoRa.OTAA, auth=(app_eui, app_key), timeout=0)
        while not lora.has_joined():
            time.sleep(1)
            print('Not yet joined...')

lora.nvram_save()
        print(time.localtime(),"done LoRa join")

# This is the debug mode, entered when the button is pressed
    def debugMode():
        # set led to orange
        pycom.rgbled(0x402000)
        wlan = WLAN()
        wlan.init(mode=WLAN.AP, ssid='LoPy-'+binascii.hexlify(lora.mac()).decode('ascii'), auth=(WLAN.WPA2,'***'), channel=7, antenna=WLAN.INT_ANT)
        server = Server()
        # set led to green once we're ready
        pycom.rgbled(0x00ff00)

# This is a modified version of the Pysense go_to_sleep which keeps INT working
    def go_to_sleep2():
        PORTC_ADDR = const(0x00E)
        ANSELA_ADDR = const(0x18C)
        ANSELB_ADDR = const(0x18D)
        ANSELC_ADDR = const(0x18E)
        ADCON0_ADDR = const(0x9D)
        CMD_GO_SLEEP = const(0x21)

# disable back-up power to the pressure sensor
        py.mask_bits_in_memory(PORTC_ADDR, ~(1 << 7))
        py.poke_memory(ADCON0_ADDR, 0)            # disable the ADC
        py.poke_memory(ANSELA_ADDR, ~(1 << 3))    # Don't touch RA3 so that button wake up works
        py.poke_memory(ANSELB_ADDR, 0xFF)
        py.poke_memory(ANSELC_ADDR, ~((1 << 7)|(1 << 1)))
        py._write(bytes([CMD_GO_SLEEP]), wait=False)
        # kill the run pin
        Pin('P3', mode=Pin.OUT, value=0)

def sendData(val):
        s = socket.socket(socket.AF_LORA, socket.SOCK_RAW)
        s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_LORA, socket.SO_CONFIRMED, 0)
        s.send(bytes([val]));

# This is the main function
    def doTheWork():

if py.button_pressed():
            debugMode()
            return

p = read_pin()

sendData(p)
        # send is blocking and should have waited long enough, but I'm a belt-and-suspenders kind of guy
        time.sleep(2)
        lora.nvram_save()
        py.setup_sleep(SLEEP)
        # Set edge
        py.poke_memory(0x95, py.peek_memory(0x95) & ~0x40 if p else py.peek_memory(0x95) | 0x40)
        # Enable INTE
        # If your Pysense is not running a version of the firmware that supports it, this will probably lock it up
        py.poke_memory(0x0b, py.peek_memory(0x0b) | 0x10)
        go_to_sleep2()

doTheWork()

Note: I haven't tried running this version of the code, so I may have cut a bit too much.

• @johncaipa that’s quite incorrect. I have devices running for weeks using the save/restore APIs, and I can guarantee you that frame counters are indeed saved.

Some additional state (channels...) wasn’t, but it was added in the latest firmware release.

Note that you should not join in each cycle, as that will indeed reset counters.

• @jmarcelino said in LoPy deepsleep general issues/questions:

Once you enter deepsleep the RAM contents are gone, including your LoRaWAN session keys and counters. nvram_save / nvram_restore is an efficient way to store and restore these parameters without having to rejoin the LoRaWAN network.

supposedly it is like that,, but with nvram_save / nvram_restore the packet counters is not stored, it restarts in each cycle.

• Found the answer: it will not find the module if you just run it, you need to upload it and there it will be in internal registers, same works with Pysense module.

• @iplooky

Not sure if this your post was a question or a statement but just to be sure you only need the from deepsleep import DeepSleep line, and not import deepsleep

• 0_1509631067596_Untitled.png

There I have the basic example and the lib from https://github.com/pycom/pycom-libraries , I begin to feel really bad because I really miss something.

• My basic main.py is the following:

from pysense import Pysense
    from LIS2HH12 import LIS2HH12
    from SI7006A20 import SI7006A20
    from LTR329ALS01 import LTR329ALS01
    from MPL3115A2 import MPL3115A2,ALTITUDE,PRESSURE
    import pycom
    import time

py = Pysense()
    si = SI7006A20(py)
    lt = LTR329ALS01(py)
    li = LIS2HH12(py)
    mp = MPL3115A2(py,mode=ALTITUDE)
    mpp = MPL3115A2(py,mode=PRESSURE)

while True:

data1=mp.temperature()
    data2=mpp.pressure()
    data3=si.humidity()
    data4=lt.light()

treasure=['Temperature=',data1,'Pressure=',data2,'Humidity=',data3,'Light=',data4]
    print(treasure)
    py.setup_sleep(5)
    py.go_to_sleep()

If I don't have the while loop: it reads the data, it's not printing it and it goes to sleep JUST ONCE

If I have the while loop: it will show the data continously only if I don't use the last 2 lines, otherwise it will not display the info.

And it gets really buggy, (in the terminal normal info like Type help() for more information it displays only Type help() fo and I have to use a lot of CTRL+C and CTRL+B to restore and run it again. Is there a way to erase all content from LoPy? I think the "Upload" doesn't quite overwrite the code very well.

@jmarcelino I always use this name but I open only the folder I need when I want to run the code. I will change the name just to be shure in the future.

• @iplooky
    Do you have any other file named deepsleep.py , maybe in your /flash/ folder ?

You don’t need a loop, once the board “wakes” it will run your script again.

• @jmarcelino thank you for the answer.
    Yes, the error appeared with from deepsleep import DeepSleep and ds=DeepSleep(), really don't know why.
    Do I need a while loop in order to read the sensor data, send it and go to sleep or the reset effect of py.setup_sleep covers it? (I've tried both ways before putting this question but as far I can see LoPy behaves strange (again) and from experience I'll need to reset it a couple of times).

• @iplooky
    Yes, the current deepsleep via the shield or the Pysense acts as a reset and the LoPy restarts including running the boot and main.py files.

First of all, I have this one regarding the library :
    File "/flash/lib/deepsleep.py", line 32, in init

How are you calling it and when does this error appear?

from deepsleep import DeepSleep
    ds = DeepSleep()

should work fine?

From what I know the deepsleep can be implemented with command line like : ds.go_to_sleep( number of seconds ), if I have LoPy+deepsleep shield+Pysense can I still use it? Or shoud I try machine.sleep(number of seconds) ?(And what is the difference?)

If you have the Pysense you don't need the deepsleep shield, the sleep functionality is already built-in into the Pysense.

What you call depends if you are using the deepsleep shield or the Pysense

For the deepsleep shield:

# ds = DeepSleep() 
    ds.go_to_sleep( *number of seconds* )

for the Pysense:

# py = Pysense()
    py.setup_sleep(*number of seconds*)
    py.go_to_sleep()

I'm not sure what machine.sleep is - maybe you mean time.sleep(s), which just waits a few seconds but doesn't decrease power?

There is a machine.deepsleep(ms) which uses the internal sleep modes and thus doesn't need the deepsleep shield but it had some problems on the existing LoPy. It does work correctly on the OEM modules will be the best option in future hardware.

Last one: if it runs the main.py continously why do I need to use nvram_save / nvram_restore ? The process is : read data -> send it -> sleep -> repeat.

Once you enter deepsleep the RAM contents are gone, including your LoRaWAN session keys and counters. nvram_save / nvram_restore is an efficient way to store and restore these parameters without having to rejoin the LoRaWAN network.

Pycom on Twitter