New order of LoPy - deep sleep issues?

• @jmarcelino and @mahe and @livius
    I ordered LoPy4's today on the webshop. They were picked up by DHL this afternoon so i should have them next week. Will let you know how i get on with the following:

• Power consumption
    • RTC being reset every sleep cycle
    • Unpredictable sleep intervals

• @jcaron

Yes, the LoPy4 hardware has arrived earlier and is actually shipping today (I was surprised myself to learn this).

However the software side is still being worked on so I can't offer power consumption figures yet, they'll definitely be done by end of month but hopefully sooner.

• Welcome to the twilight zone...

The LoPy4 is not finished yet and we don't have final production hardware. We'll have full power consumption results when it's released.

That'll will happen closer to end of this month.

But then you post on Twitter:

Yay! The NEW LoPy4.0 is shipping :) Come and try out our new #LoRa #Sigfox #WiFi #BLE @ESP32net @LoRaAlliance @sigfox #IoT developer board #GOINVENT

(and I notice the shipment date warning has been removed from the web shop).

Oh, it seems the new cases have been pushed back to... April!

• @jmarcelino should probably update the web shop then, it still says

Purchasing the LoPy4 means you are pre-ordering ready for shipment 27th December 2017

(Twice)

While we’re on that topic, what’s the status on the new cases?

• Thanks @danielm

Yes the L01 + baseboard combination will give you very low power deepsleep right now.

The LoPy4 does have a different Semtech chip SX1276 but the power specifications difference from that isn't major.The other difference is a TCXO (temperature compensated crystal). But in terms of deepsleep that shouldn't matter.

We'll have detailed official numbers (deepsleep, sleep, transmit, receive) later in the month. I'm expecting to present it at The Things Conference.

• I am able to achieve 16uA deep-sleep current using LM3281 voltage regulator and L01 OEM module. LoPy4 will carry different Semtech chip if I remember correctly.

You may try to use L01 + OEM baseboard from Pycom.

• Hi @robin,

The LoPy4 is not finished yet and we don't have final production hardware. We'll have full power consumption results when it's released.

That'll will happen closer to end of this month.

• I never received any replies here. I needed some extra LoPy's for testing, so I ordered some even though I didn't expect to receive anything different from last time. If low power consumption is needed the LoPy is not the way to go. Maybe the LoPy4 is better, but I haven't seen any examples..

I must admit, that I feel Pycom is using false advertisement in regards to the LoPy. It still says:

Ultra-low power usage: a fraction compared to other connected micro controllers

on the product page. I don't see anywhere mentioned that this is not true - even with the low power shield (which as far as I can see is not mentioned anywhere either - even though it radically changes the form factor of the LoPy).. The first time I ordered I had no idea that the product I would receive was completely useless for my application..

• @livius Excellent news!
    Any data on the power consumption of the LoPy4? Is that according to spec? Or still around 0.5 milliampere?

• @robin
    Lopy4 does not need deepsleep shield. It sleep in low power mode without it.

• @mahe Did Pycom ever give an answer about this issue?
    I have 10 LoPy's with disappointing deep sleep power usage, and have a project for which i need another 30.
    But i'm having doubts which board to order, or move to something else altogether because of Pycom's lack of communication regarding this issue.
    @administrators can you post an advice if the deepsleep problem is dealt with in the LoPy4?

Pycom on Twitter