Big THINGS happening in February!

• administrators

Dear All,

I wanted to give you an update on some big releases taking place in February.

1. Pybytes, the NEW middleware platform will go LIVE in Beta form next week. We are aiming for no more than 50 developers to join the initial launch. If you want to join the Beta release programme please email Bettina@pycom.io

This platform has nothing to do with the previous release early last year and has been completely rebuilt. You will be able to set-up your Pycom devices within 30 seconds, set alerts for your devices/shields, update your Things using our Firmware Over The Air platform and much more. We will plan a general launch early April. A big well done to the team!

1. Our brand new LoRaWAN 1.0.2 stack will be available for general release within the next week. I know many of you have some exciting projects requiring this new stack. Looking forward to seeing those.

2. Encryption: Complete flash encryption will be supported with an AES-256 key stored in the fuse bits of the ESP32. Reading this key from outside of the ESP32 is not possible. In addition, we will add secure boot which writes protect the bootloader area. Both measures will make the firmware flashed to our modules fully secure. Expect this update before end Feb.

3. Verizon Certification on CAT M1 is now complete for all cellular modules/boards: FiPy, GPy and G01 modules. We are now focusing on T-Mobile US and Vodafone in the near term (NB IOT). Others will follow short term including many Networks carrying out the certifications themselves with our support. We will keep you updated on the complete list regularly. Many of these agreements will involve Roaming so one SIM will work globally (subject to roaming agreements).

4. Over the past 3 months we have been migrating manufacturing of Pycom modules to a new Contract Manufacturing partner and are incredibly excited as to what this means for our developers. We will give more details over the coming weeks however needless to say we have not only gained manufacturing throughput but also some cool technology ability including an expected OEM version of the FiPy later this year. In the process we have also bolstered our full on-boarding/integration services so if you require any support to roll-out your POC do give us a shout (sales@pycom.io)

5. Expect some marketing announcements around the #GOINVENT World Series 2018 tour whereby we will be organising 15 LPWAN Workshop-Style Hackathons around the world with some of our major partners: Middleware, Network and Technology stack partners. This will be a series of 1-day events where upto 100 developers come together to learn, develop and hack on their connected projects. Hosted in 15 locations over the coming 12 months, Pycom with support from its partners, will be giving our 150k strong-and-rapidly-growing developer community great solutions to get IoT projects done easier, faster and better. More details to follow from Bettina including how to book a place.

As usual, a BIG Thank you from the team for your continued support and bearing with us as we continue to make improvements across the border :) Lots of good stuff completed but lots more to do… Keeps us busy I guess!

Best wishes Fred

• administrators

@eric24 Aha... ok. Longer term eg 6 months horizon, Pycom will be offering connectivity services. For obvious reasons I cannot go into detail at this stage but we will make announcements soon.

In the meant time, I take onboard your requirements and will ensure we publish some practical steps for short term supply.

Leave that with me...

Thanks Fred

• @fred - All very exciting! But what I'm specifically looking for is specific steps needed to go from a GPy with no SIM to a GPy connected on the Verizon (or other) network. Like where do I get a SIM (hopefully without having to go through too much paperwork--for example, an MVNO's SIM that I can buy in low quantities online)? If this is going to be included in the new version of the Getting Started docs, then I'll wait for that (but with bated breath).

• administrators

@eric24

Hey Eric, Good question!

Pybytes Beta was released this week.

The LoRaWan stack 1.02 was released 2 weeks ago: https://docs.pycom.io/chapter/firmwareapi/pycom/network/lora.html

The new LTE-M stack was released yesterday: https://docs.pycom.io/chapter/firmwareapi/pycom/network/lte/cat-m1.html

Encryption will be released early next week.

Certifications:
    Verizon: COMPLETE https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/search?s=pycom
    Others to follow including NB-IoT

Getting Started docs: Ongoing. New version in progress (draft mode).

More to come!
    Thanks Fred

• @fred - Just checking in to see how things are coming on this front.
    --Eric

• administrators

@eric24

Hi Eric,

Very good input. We are working on the entire Getting Started and have some dedicated resources doing just that. Give us a few more weeks and things will start falling into place including SIM solutions for CAT M1, the complete Narrow Band IoT stack thus leading to some other carrier SIM cards.

Thanks Fred

• @fred : I'm so happy to hear that Cat-M1 is continuing to move forward. What would be most helpful at this point is more details or "recipes" on how to get a GPy or FiPy up and running in known-working scenarios. For example, what kind of SIMs (hopefully, something that's available in small quantities from easily-accessible sources, like Hologram or Aeris NEO), code and configuration examples, etc.

• @bmarkus yes, AU915-928 will be supported as well. Thanks!

• @daniel said in Big THINGS happening in February!:

@bmarkus in general we will be fully compliant with the "LoRaWAN specification 1.0.2" and "LoRaWAN Regional Parameters v1.0.2rB". The regios supported will be US902-928, EU868 and AS923. There's going to be a single firmware as opposed to now where we have separate firmwares for US and EU.

Thanks. What is about Australia, AU915-928?

• @fred
    Finally point 3 arrive :)

• @bmarkus in general we will be fully compliant with the "LoRaWAN specification 1.0.2" and "LoRaWAN Regional Parameters v1.0.2rB". The regios supported will be US902-928, EU868 and AS923. There's going to be a single firmware as opposed to now where we have separate firmwares for US and EU.

• @fred said in Big THINGS happening in February!:

1. Our brand new LoRaWAN 1.0.2 stack will be available for general release within the next week. I know many of you have some exciting projects requiring this new stack. Looking forward to seeing those.

Is changelog available with details of 1.0.2 related changes?

Pycom on Twitter