Guru Meditation Error & Magnetic Interference (EMI/RFI)

• Hi all,

I've run into the same "Guru Meditation Error" issue with our "PySense + FiPy" and "PyTrack + FiPy's" ...

Though the weirdest thing is, it wasn't running any code ... freshly firmware'd ... both boards to version 8 ... and the FiPy's to 1.18.r7 ...

We where doing some field tests ... and the devices just ran in an endless "Guru Meditation Error" & "Core dump" loop ... noticed we where close to a BIG Power Line(s) ... so we choose to just drive a bit further away ... and wham ... it stopped!

Drove back towards the same spot ... and wham ... the board just ran in an endless loop "Guru Meditation Error" ...

Drove away again ... and wham ... it stopped!

So my question is: how sensitive to magnetic interference (EMI/RFI) are all of PyCom's products?? @robert-hh @Paul-Thornton

And follow-up question: What type of shielding should one use? (like a case? or foil to place inside an exciting case?)

• Seems like this is related to WIFI in some way. When turning off WIFI (pycom.wifi_on_boot(False)) problem goes away. I am not using WIFI in any way, but maybe powerlines or WIFI accesspoint makes my W01 panic?

This is the application I have been running during the test:

from machine import Pin
    import utime

LED.append(Pin('P3', mode=Pin.OUT))

while True:
        LED.value(1)
        utime.sleep_ms(100)
        LED.value(0)
        utime.sleep_ms(100)

I havent been able to decode the core dumps, can I send them to someone for investigation? This forum didn´t allow me to post it here.

• @combaindeft
    Have you found a soultion for this issue? I have the same problem (also in Sweden) with a W01 on a custom board. Have found a couple of places where this happens everytime passing with a car. This is on the country side, there could be smaller power lines under ground (power lines feeding a few houses, nothing big).

• @paul-thornton

Here is a video you can show them:
    Direkt download Link
    InDirekt Link

Would it be possible for you to send us one of your devices that worked in your "test area"? ... so we can field test them in our "Area"? (and we'll send it back ASAP...)

So we can exclude if it's something between different HW Devices or not.

• @combaindeft said in Guru Meditation Error & Magnetic Interference (EMI/RFI):

@paul-thornton

Any results? :-)

@crumble, @Martinnn, @Paul-Thornton:

So we ran both PySense+FiPY & PyTrack+FiPy devices side by side (in the car, on the dashboard), no usb, both running same "boot_debug_Lights.py" script.

Our findings:

• Both had issues :-(
    • The PySense seamed to bit a bit less vunerable and ran a little better ... but it it failed.

Sadly no results (they worked fine). Will mention this issue again in tomorrows standup.

• @paul-thornton

Any results? :-)

@crumble, @Martinnn, @Paul-Thornton:

So we ran both PySense+FiPY & PyTrack+FiPy devices side by side (in the car, on the dashboard), no usb, both running same "boot_debug_Lights.py" script.

Our findings:

• Both had issues :-(
    • The PySense seamed to bit a bit less vunerable and ran a little better ... but it it failed.

• @combaindeft I should be at my local hackspace this weekend at somepoint. Ill give your test script a run then. That place has enough RF/EMF noise that all laptop trackpads die when entering the building and refuse to work untill we leave (You try debugging that one in the room full of random hardware...)

That said. I've run a ton of Pycom boards there in the past without major issue.

• @robert-hh said in Guru Meditation Error & Magnetic Interference (EMI/RFI):

@combaindeft YES! That could be the proof for earth rays, long sought by esotarian people!

Or a good place to dig for gold. @combaindeft you can easily test if it an expensive metal. Switch the GPS antennawit a plug and an active antenna. Shield the device and tell us the result. It will be only copper when it works, so you share the result ;)

• @combaindeft Very interesting. In my case, the proposed correlation between USB cable and gurus did not hold. It more seems that some devices crash more regularly than others.
    Maybe you should make yourself a pair of divining rods. This can be a very enlightening experience, particularly for a science-believing engineer (not joking)!
    Do you have a spectrum analyzer? I'd suggest using it together with some near field probes (E and H field) when driving around.

• @robert-hh said in Guru Meditation Error & Magnetic Interference (EMI/RFI):

@combaindeft YES! That could be the proof for earth rays, long sought by esotarian people!

HaHa 😇

But NOT! ... more like they didn't put good shielding around the things they put underground .... and yes ... it only follows the road(s) that are paved / have put something along underground ...

and, @robert-hh ... having looked more into the Error code in the Core-Dump ... it's looks like there are places in the Firmware code one needs to add Try-Catch(es) ...

Since, say after 12-20 reboots & core dumps ... it does actually run the code once to the end (last line) and then reboots 12-20 times ... and runs once again ... so forth and so on ...

• @combaindeft YES! That could be the proof for earth rays, long sought by esotarian people!

• @Paul-Thornton @crumble @Martinnn

So, we did some more tests .... wrote the following test code (see below)

Loaded it up on our FiPy+PyTrack ... and drove around the town (Veberöd, in the South of Sweden...) ...

We can Conclude

• It's not the High Power Lines at all! ... as we followed it and drove very close to it at multiple locations ... and none other place had the issue.

• We drove around more, and found more places that the Guru Meditation Error-loop happens. *YAY-US...* ... we have found more locations.

• After driving around, a lot more, we started to see a pattern ... and that it has to be something underground that generates some sort of EMF/EMI/RFI ...
      Note: In Sweden almost 99,9% of all cables & stuff, are put underground

• If, I put my hand around the case (the plastic-box the FiPy ships in) .... in other words ... Shield it ... in an affected area ... it code runs as it was supposed to do. Take my hand of, again, and it Errors ...

• Further more, I saw on the bus home, that in Dalby (15km away) it happened to at a certain place ... so it's Not-One-City-Only... issue ... Mabye? somebody else in the community can upload the debug-code (see below)? ... and test at their location? ... (You will NOTICE: As the colors will stop changing ... or changing different time patterns ... or that it suddenly runs through one Loop ... and then Stop ... and a long while later, it Runs again ... so forth and so on ...)

Will Test Soon

• To run a "FiPy+PyTrack" vs "FiPy+PySense" combo next to each other ... and validate that it's only the "FiPy+PyTrack" that has the issue(s).

Code: boot_debug_Lights.py

print('DEBUG :: @Import')

import machine
    import time
    import pycom

print('DEBUG :: @Defining Colors')
    # Colors
    off = 0x000000
    gray = 0x121212
    white = 0xffffff
    red = 0xff0000
    green = 0x00ff00
    blue = 0x0000ff
    purple = 0x800080
    orange = 0xFFA500
    # DEft Colors
    dTorq = 0x00CED1
    dPink = 0xFF1493
    dRed = 0xFF4500
    dMag = 0xFF00FF
    dViol = 0x9400D3
    dLime = 0x32CD32
    dOlive = 0x808000
    dTeal = 0x008080
    dCyan = 0x00FFFF
    dBrown = 0xA52A2A
    dChoco = 0xD2691E
    dAzure = 0xF0FFFF
    dSgray = 0x708090

print('DEBUG :: @Setting up RainBow')
    RainBow = [gray, white, red, green, blue, purple, orange, dTorq, dPink, dRed, dMag, dViol, dLime, dOlive, dTeal, dCyan, dBrown, dChoco, dAzure, dSgray]

print('DEBUG :: @HeartBeat OFF')
    pycom.heartbeat(False)

print('DEBUG :: @Vars')
    RUN = True
    i = 0
    j = 0 

print('DEBUG :: @Running RainDow Lights Show')
    while RUN:
            pycom.rgbled(RainBow[i])
            time.sleep_ms(150)
            i = i + 1
            if i == 20:
                    i = 0
                    j = j + 1                
                    print('DEBUG :: @Loop: ' + str(j))

• @paul-thornton Hi again, any News?

• @combaindeft Thanks for this. (and your email). I've shared the info with the team to see what they can come up with.

will update this thread with whatever they come back with asap.

• @martinnn said in Guru Meditation Error & Magnetic Interference (EMI/RFI):

@combaindeft
    What does your physical setup look like? Cables, connections...?

• 3 pcs of PyTrack+FiPys .... 2pcs ran Freelance (on battery power) ... 1pcs ran on battery+usb-cable ...

• 1pcs of PySense+FiPys ... we running on battery power ... and we attached & detached the usb-cable from it .. on matter what we did to it ... it just ran ... ergo dubed The Joker

• USB-Cable(s)? .... we choose to use the best ones ... rated for Power & Data connection ... as some only do Power and never Data (or say, do Power, and extremely poorly Data over it ... guessing the ones that do both have better shielding inside of them)

I honestly doubt that any module alone could be affected by any kind of power line - power lines are 50 Hz mostly, field strength might be something but yours does not look like a 380 kV one. I would suspect that your setup contains some long wires as antenna or worse: loops that pick up some signal.

• And yeah, we're running a MacBook Pro ... Aluminium Case ... and one thought we have is that it might be the Aluminum Casing of the Mac that Act's as an Antenna or sorts ... and creates EMI in the USB-Cable that is attached to one of the devices ... But this doesn't quite answer the entire picture ... since we noticed when we drove away from the Power Line(s) that all 3pcs (two Freelance & one Hitched) ... all booted up at the same time ... *hummMmm*

• According to Wikipedia, SLF (Super low frequency),
      30 Hz to 300 Hz have been used by:

Radio amateurs have received signals in this range using simple receivers built around personal computers, with coil or loop antennas connected to the PCs sound card. Signals are analysed by a software fast Fourier transform algorithm and converted into audible sound.[3]

You write that you use the Pysense. I am also using a pysense/wipy combination

• Yes we are.(though with FiPy's...)

and I suspect these are extremely sensitive with a USB cable connected. In my office, I had six of those running on 4.2V (battery connector powered from lab power supply), which are still running (MQTT send every 2s via wifi). Five units are connected via USB (one to my laptop, four to a powered hub), of which three died in the past two days. Same pattern in the days before. I have standalone units running for two weeks now.

• Once in an office we had so much Electrostatic charged air air ... you couldn't touch any electronic boards without having a ground wire attached to yourself ... or you'd get a nice shock ...

• And yes, the usb-cable does make sense to look at .... but it doesn't explain why all PyTrack+FiPy devices (Freelance & Hitched) came back online at the exakt moment ... and began running their code ... if it was the usb-cable then the device hooked to it shouldn't have come back online (and the logs should have kept loging the Panic Core dump ... until x-reboots ... before it ran the code once well...)

So it seems you don't need a power line to make those things fail.

• Just some EMI to interfere with something on the board ... According to our Hardware guy ... it should be a software issue and not a Hardware-component issue.

• In our case we did get an explicit pointer that it must be some software/firmware issue ... as it states "Guru Meditation Error: Core 0 panic'ed (InstrFetchProhibited). Exception was unhandled." ... and that our code was running after x-reboots ... and then failed ... and ran again .... if it where a HW issue ... we shouldn't have been able to run any code ... also ... it does look that since we We have improved our code for: pycoproc.py the PySence+FiPy is working without any issue(s) ...

Guru Meditation Error: Core  0 panic'ed (InstrFetchProhibited)
    . Exception was unhandled.
    Register dump:
    PC      : 0x00000000  PS      : 0x00060e30  A0      : 0x8011a4c9  A1      : 0x3ffbd650  
    A2      : 0x00000000  A3      : 0x00000037  A4      : 0xffffffa4  A5      : 0x3fbc1e24  
    A6      : 0x00000008  A7      : 0x00000000  A8      : 0x801257a4  A9      : 0x3ffbd640  
    A10     : 0x3fbc1e40  A11     : 0x00000037  A12     : 0xffffffa4  A13     : 0x3ffbd6e4  
    A14     : 0x7777715b  A15     : 0x7777715b  SAR     : 0x00000010  EXCCAUSE: 0x00000014  
    EXCVADDR: 0x00000000  LBEG    : 0x4009b2dd  LEND    : 0x4009b311  LCOUNT  : 0xffffffff  

Backtrace: 0x00000000:0x3ffbd650 0x4011a4c6:0x3ffbd670 0x4011b4d3:0x3ffbd740 0x40131a71:0x3ffbd760 0x401335d3:0x3ffbd7b0

Can you try running the pysense boards without connections? Just add a battery and set them to communicate wirelessly?
    @pycom: it seems you might have some work to do regarding the pysense

• From our test yesterday, The Joker (PySense+FiPy) devices worked without any issues ... and it was only with the PyTrack+FiPy that we all the issues with.

• Although, do note: We have improved our code for: pycoproc.py
      Since we noticed that we had a lot of issues with I2C Bus Error's

• @Martinnn - Maybe try it out yourself? and see if it solve your issue with the PySense+WiPy?

• Loosely & Planing of running more tests ... and in one of them I'll use the standard lib from PyCom GitHub ... vs our own improved one ... and seee.

• Also thinking of writing a specific test script ... where I'll cycle through all colours (Rolling-Rainbow...) ... and systematically one by one run one pice of our code-line ... and see how far it'll run through the code ... before it stats panicing.

• @paul-thornton said in Guru Meditation Error & Magnetic Interference (EMI/RFI):

@combaindeft Look forward to seeing your results. this is one of the more unique problem's Ive encountered during my time at pycom and I'd like to see it resolved :)

Dump_001

Dump_002

DUMP_003

Dump_004

LOG:

---------- 2019-02-06 20:44:40 +0100: Connected ----------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LOG   :: Loading XYZ
    DEBUG :: START-UP                                 :: @ 3  :: FREE MEM 2507104
    DEBUG :: ENABLE GC                                :: @ 3  :: FREE MEM 2506768
    DEBUG :: IMPORT MACHINE                           :: @ 3  :: FREE MEM 2506432
    DEBUG :: IMPORT PyTrack                           :: @ 5  :: FREE MEM 2494080
    DEBUG :: IMPORT WDT                               :: @ 5  :: FREE MEM 2493632
    DEBUG :: @Getting a Watch Dog
    DEBUG :: @Resting Watch Dog for 20 Sec
    LOG   :: Define py()
    Register dump:
    PC      : 0x00000000  PS      : 0x00060e30  A0      : 0x8011a4c9  A1      : 0x3ffbd650  
    A2      : 0x00000000  A3      : 0x00000037  A4      : 0xffffffa4  A5      : 0x3fbc1e24  
    A6      : 0x00000008  A7      : 0x00000000  A8      : 0x801257a4  A9      : 0x3ffbd640  
    A10     : 0x3fbc1e40  A11     : 0x00000037  A12     : 0xffffffa4  A13     : 0x3ffbd6e4  
    A14     : 0x7777715b  A15     : 0x7777715b  SAR     : 0x00000010  EXCCAUSE: 0x00000014  
    EXCVADDR: 0x00000000  LBEG    : 0x4009b2dd  LEND    : 0x4009b311  LCOUNT  : 0xffffffff  

Backtrace: 0x00000000:0x3ffbd650 0x4011a4c6:0x3ffbd670 0x4011b4d3:0x3ffbd740 0x40131a71:0x3ffbd760 0x401335d3:0x3ffbd7b0

================= CORE DUMP START =================
    cD0AABAAAABsAQAA
    WNj7P5DV+z9Q2Ps/
    YNb7P/DX+z8p152hlFL8P5RS/D9Y2Ps/jFL8PwIAAADowfs/6MH7P1jY+z8AAAAA
    FwAAAFTI+z93aWZpAPLMRVVZwuIcsYcAAAAAAFDY+z8AAAAAIA4GABcAAAABAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACEe/0/7Hv9P1R8/T8AAAAAAAAAAAEAAAAAAAAA
    81pAPwAAAAAYuglAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH4hyA==

[CANNOT POST TO LONG MSGS HERE, SEE LOG_FILE FOR FULL LOG]

ODQIQDS7CEAwBwYAs4sOgGD3/T9M2f0/APj9P5jZ/T8AAAAAoNn9PwAAAAA0uwiA
    QPf9PwEAAAD/////uFL8PwEAAAAEGfw/AAAAAAAAAAAogfk/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAADE2CEABAAAANNgIQCiB+T8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD//z+zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAuAAAApaWlpaWlpaXk2A2AoPf9P7he/D8A+P0/
    AAAAADYAAAClpaWlpaWlpf////+g9/0/lGH8PwD4/T8AAAAAAQAAAKxe/D88NPw/
    AAAAADD4/T+sXvw/AAAAAFD4/T8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArF78PwAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwYPw/
    MGD8PwAAAAAA+P0/ABQAACiB+T8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwYPw/AAAAAAoAAAD///9/
    AAAAAFD4/T8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAABc+P0/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAA==
    ================= CORE DUMP END =================
    Rebooting...
    ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x17 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
    configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
    clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
    mode:DIO, clock div:1
    load:0x3fff8028,len:8
    load:0x3fff8030,len:1728
    load:0x4009fa00,len:0
    load:0x4009fa00,len:14592
    entry 0x400a059c
    Register dump:
    PC      : 0x00000000  PS      : 0x00060030  A0      : 0x8011a4c9  A1      : 0x3ffbd650  
    A2      : 0x00000000  A3      : 0x00000037  A4      : 0xffffffa5  A5      : 0x3fbc1e28  
    A10     : 0x3fbc1e44  A11     : 0x00000037  A12     : 0xffffffa5  A13     : 0x3ffbd6e4  

sDUAABAAAABsAQAA
    WNj7P5DV+z9Q2Ps/
    sNb7P/DX+z8p152hlFL8P5RS/D9Y2Ps/jFL8PwIAAADowfs/6MH7P1jY+z8AAAAA
    FwAAAFTI+z93aWZpAPLMRVVZwuIcsYcAAAAAAFDY+z8AAAAAIAAGABcAAAABAAAA

ODQIQDS7CEAwBQYAs4sOgGD3/T9M2f0/APj9P5jZ/T8AAAAAoNn9PwAAAAA0uwiA
    AAAAADgAAAClpaWlpaWlpf////+g9/0/lGH8PwD4/T8AAAAAAQAAAKxe/D88NPw/
    AAAAAA==
    Rebooting...

entry 0x400a059c
    Register dump:
    PC      : 0x00000000  PS      : 0x00060430  A0      : 0x8011a4c9  A1      : 0x3ffbd650  
    A2      : 0x00000000  A3      : 0x00000037  A4      : 0xffffffa3  A5      : 0x3fbc1e28  
    A10     : 0x3fbc1e44  A11     : 0x00000037  A12     : 0xffffffa3  A13     : 0x3ffbd6e4  

oDUAABAAAABsAQAA
    WNj7P5DV+z9Q2Ps/
    FwAAAFTI+z93aWZpAPLMRVVZwuIcsYcAAAAAAFDY+z8AAAAAIAQGABcAAAABAAAA

ODQIQDS7CEAwAwYAs4sOgGD3/T9M2f0/APj9P5jZ/T8AAAAAoNn9PwAAAAA0uwiA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAtAAAApaWlpaWlpaXk2A2AoPf9P7he/D8A+P0/
    AAAAADUAAAClpaWlpaWlpf////+g9/0/lGH8PwD4/T8AAAAAAQAAAKxe/D88NPw/
    AAAAAA==
    Rebooting...

entry 0x400a059c
    Register dump:
    PC      : 0x00000000  PS      : 0x00060030  A0      : 0x8011a4c9  A1      : 0x3ffbd650  
    A2      : 0x00000000  A3      : 0x00000037  A4      : 0xffffffa2  A5      : 0x3fbc1e28  
    A10     : 0x3fbc1e44  A11     : 0x00000037  A12     : 0xffffffa2  A13     : 0x3ffbd6e4  

sDUAABAAAABsAQAA
    WNj7P5DV+z9Q2Ps/
    oNX7P/DX+z8p152hlFL8P5RS/D9Y2Ps/jFL8PwIAAADowfs/6MH7P1jY+z8AAAAA

ODQIQDS7CEAwBwYAs4sOgGD3/T9M2f0/APj9P5jZ/T8AAAAAoNn9PwAAAAA0uwiA
    AAAAADYAAAClpaWlpaWlpf////+g9/0/lGH8PwD4/T8AAAAAAQAAAKxe/D88NPw/
    AAAAAA==
    Rebooting...

entry 0x400a059c
    Register dump:
    A2      : 0x00000000  A3      : 0x00000037  A4      : 0xffffffa4  A5      : 0x3fbc1e28  
    A10     : 0x3fbc1e44  A11     : 0x00000037  A12     : 0xffffffa4  A13     : 0x3ffbd6e4  

8DUAABAAAABsAQAA
    WNj7P5DV+z9Q2Ps/

AAAAAFUAAAClpaWlpaWlpf////+g9/0/lGH8PwD4/T8AAAAAAQAAAKxe/D88NPw/
    AAAAAA==
    Rebooting...

entry 0x400a059c
    Register dump:
    PC      : 0x00000000  PS      : 0x00060430  A0      : 0x8011a4c9  A1      : 0x3ffbd6d0  
    A6      : 0x00000008  A7      : 0x00000000  A8      : 0x801257a4  A9      : 0x3ffbd6c0  
    A10     : 0x3fbc1e40  A11     : 0x00000037  A12     : 0xffffffa4  A13     : 0x3ffbd764  

Backtrace: 0x00000000:0x3ffbd6d0 0x4011a4c6:0x3ffbd6f0 0x4011b4d3:0x3ffbd7c0 0x40131a71:0x3ffbd7e0 0x401335d3:0x3ffbd830

6DUAABAAAABsAQAA
    3Nj7PxDW+z/U2Ps/
    MNf7P3DY+z8AAAAAlFL8P5RS/D/c2Ps/jFL8PwIAAABwUPw/cFD8P9zY+z8AAAAA
    FwAAANjI+z93aWZpAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTY+z8AAAAAIAQGABcAAAABAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPcSQA==

AAAAAFgAAAClpaWlpaWlpf////+g9/0/lGH8PwD4/T8AAAAAAQAAAKxe/D88NPw/
    AAAAAA==
    Rebooting...

entry 0x400a059c
    DEBUG :: START-UP                                 :: @ 3  :: FREE MEM 2507104
    DEBUG :: ENABLE GC                                :: @ 3  :: FREE MEM 2506768
    DEBUG :: IMPORT MACHINE                           :: @ 3  :: FREE MEM 2506432
    DEBUG :: IMPORT PyTrack                           :: @ 5  :: FREE MEM 2494080
    DEBUG :: IMPORT WDT                               :: @ 5  :: FREE MEM 2493632
    DEBUG :: @Getting a Watch Dog
    DEBUG :: @Resting Watch Dog for 20 Sec
    LOG   :: Define py()
    DEBUG :: @Resting Watch Dog for 30 Sec
    DEBUG :: @Feeding Watch Dog
    DEBUG :: IMPORT PyCom                             :: @ 5 :: FREE MEM 2491840
    LOG   :: @pycom.heartbeat(False)
    LOG   :: @pycom.rgbled(dBrown)
    LOG   :: Machine Reset Cause: 0 : POWERON_RESET
    LOG   :: Machine Wake-Up Reason: 0 : PWRON_WAKE
    LOG   :: Machine Wake-Up GPIO List: None
    LOG   :: PyTrack/PySense Get Wake-up Reason: 2 : WAKE_REASON_PUSH_BUTTON
    CANNAT SHOW YOU MORE OF OUR LOGS FROM OUR CODE ... NDA ... BUT IT'S WORKING!
    LOG   :: Waiting for 5 seconds  OK
    DEBUG :: @Feeding Watch Dog
    DEBUG :: @RUN_GPS_LOC_COUNT: 5

---------- 2019-02-06 20:45:57 +0100: Disconnected ----------

COMMENT: IT'S ENDING AS IT SHOULD!

LOG_File:
    2019-02-06 20-44-13 Pytrack_BAK.log

COMMENTS:

• @ 1st time boot ... it only panic's with "Guru Meditation Error" when we try to define
    py = Pytrack()

• then in loops through a couple of "Guru Meditation Error" Panic's @ every reboot when we start loading our main.py from boot.py
    machine.main('main_XYZ.py')

• Lastly, after a couple of Panic reboots ... it's does run the code ... flawlessly ... and enters Deep Sleep Mode ... (as it's programmed to do...)

• Then @ 1st boot after Deep Sleep Mode ... it does the same thing again ... Panic's @ define Py .... repeats it Panic's @ loading XYZ .... and then runs the code again ... and on and on it goes like this ...

• Yes, USB-Cable was attached ... funny thing is ... if I put the device (PyTrack+FiPy) on the palm rest of my Mac (left side) ... it started running the code without any Panic's ... But it back on the dashboard ... it started panicing again

• USB-Cable still attached ... put it inside an ESD-bag ... placed it on the dashboard ... and it was running as it should ... took it out ... all Panic's happened again ...

• We ran 3pcs of (PyTrack+FiPy) devices ... 2pcs "Freelance" ... 1 pcs Hitched with USB-cable ... we could see from the Color's blinking that the two "Freelance" where running ... though since we now know that the code is running perfectly after a few Panic reboots ... it's hard to say if they didn't just Panic reboot until it just ran the code (very quickly ...)

• But we did notice that at the moment we left the place ... all three devices (Freelance & Hitched) at the same instance just booted-up and began running.

• Futher more, we did have a Joker with us ... a PySense+FiPy device ... and guess what?!?!? :-) ... it ran perfectly all of the time ... with USB-Cable Attached & Detached ... and we could do everything it was programmed to do with it ...

• So we started thinking what's the difference ... and one of our thoughts was the GPS-module on the PyTrack ... and the following caught our eyes in one of the logs:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "main_XYZ.py", line 971, in <module>
      File "/flash/lib/L76GNSS_BAK.py", line 146, in coordinates
      File "/flash/lib/L76GNSS_BAK.py", line 90, in _read
    OSError: I2C bus error
    Pycom MicroPython 1.18.1.r7 [v1.8.6-849-d1c5ea9] on 2018-12-17; FiPy with ESP32
    Type "help()" for more information.
    >>>

• We have slightly modified our L76GNSS ... but it's only DEBUG-ing lines we added when we looked into improving GPS location ... ergo Line 90 equals Line 27 in the original L76GNSS ... and it states:
    self.reg = self.i2c.readfrom(GPS_I2CADDR, 64)

• If you look at our tweaked pycoproc.py ... you'll see that we added some "WAIT_4_IT"-while-loops to read ... as one shouldn't take for grand that the device on the bus is always available ... it might sometimes be off ... so a "WAIT_4_IT"-while-loop add flexibility into the code ... especially when you want to run production code In-Real-Life :-) ... [It's a quick fix we'll implement ourselves until you add it to the official library]

• Further more, looking at the docs for Guru Meditation Errors from ESPRESIFF ... we find InstrFetchProhibited

InstrFetchProhibited
    This CPU exception indicates that CPU could not load an instruction because the the address of the instruction did not belong to a valid region in instruction RAM or ROM.

Usually this means an attempt to call a function pointer, which does not point to valid code. PC (Program Counter) register can be used as an indicator: it will be zero or will contain garbage value (not 0x4xxxxxxx).

• So this Instruction is being loaded into RAM when using a PyTrack-board ... but never when using a PySense-board .... *hmm*

• and it is still there in the RAM ... until several reboots ... but then it disappears from RAM (or being replaced with something else?...) ... and somehow it then all works .... defining Py = PyTrack() ... and after a clean run of the code ... it goes through the same Panic-loop again ... *hmm*

• In regards to the EMF Detector we where running on the iPhone ... it workes ... but it only detects things best at close range ... the highest reading in that field (in the air) was ~ 90-110 uT ... we drove under the Power Line to and didn't get a higher reading ... but reading in close range .... like on certain places on my Mac I can max it out to above 2800 uT ... and 1 cm above it it drops ~1000-1500 uT .... 5 cm ~ 100-200 uT ... 10cm ~30 uT ... so a bit of mixed feelings if it's it a good enough EMF detector to use ... but it did read a higher then normal value at the place of ~90-110 uT ... compared to at home ~30 uT ...

NOTE: We have improved our code for: pycoproc.py
    Since we noticed that we had a lot of issues with I2C Bus Error's

• @combaindeft Very interesting. I lived once nearly below a 380 kV line.
    What does your physical setup look like? Cables, connections...? I honestly doubt that any module alone could be affected by any kind of power line - power lines are 50 Hz mostly, field strength might be something but yours does not look like a 380 kV one. I would suspect that your setup contains some long wires as antenna or worse: loops that pick up some signal.
    You write that you use the Pysense. I am also using a pysense/wipy combination and I suspect these are extremely sensitive with a USB cable connected. In my office, I had six of those running on 4.2V (battery connector powered from lab power supply), which are still running (MQTT send every 2s via wifi). Five units are connected via USB (one to my laptop, four to a powered hub), of which three died in the past two days. Same pattern in the days before. I have standalone units running for two weeks now.
    So it seems you don't need a power line to make those things fail.
    Can you try running the pysense boards without connections? Just add a battery and set them to communicate wirelessly?
    @pycom: it seems you might have some work to do regarding the pysense (beyond the poor documentation and missing schematic).

• @combaindeft

As for other things underground ... a thing that hit me was that they might have some ore-deposits in the vicinity that magnifies the effects of the High-Power Line.

Not all power lines behave in the same way. As a former owner of an analog polar system, I had not under all power lines problems. The bicycle computer had two levels of confusion. The higer one was next to tracks near a train station and below a certain power line. Sometimes next to those small transformation buildings.

I assumed that the high level of confusion was related to modulated communication over some of these power lines. The polar used a primitiv protocol without any buffering. So I asumed that the spikes of the communication was parsed as strange values from the reed sensors.

• @combaindeft Look forward to seeing your results. this is one of the more unique problem's Ive encountered during my time at pycom and I'd like to see it resolved :)

• @paul-thornton

ok, I downloaded these two apps:
    EMF Radiation Detector
    Electromagnetic Detector EMF

In Sweden, we have most of our power-lines underground ... just a few that go above ground ... like this one ...

As for other things underground ... a thing that hit me was that they might have some ore-deposits in the vicinity that magnifies the effects of the High-Power Line.

Pycom on Twitter