LoRa Nano-Gateway vs LoRaWAN

• I have studied the idea here regarding having a nano-gateway rx_iq=True and having nodes transmit to it tx_iq=True. In my application I wish to have a Lopy "gateway" which is also connected to WiFi and to which multiple deployed nodes transmit their information to the "gateway", this then processes and sends the data to a server over WiFi ... I get how to do that using the example. This application would have propitiatory packets. This is why I have used " " to describe the gateway as it will not be open to other LoRa modules/products.

However, I am confused why/when I would use the LoRaWAN implementation and nodes would join the WAN using either OTAA or ABP. The main differences are the authentication and band hopping, right? but is there any other benefits in topology for my application? Is a true LoRaWAN "open" and will operate with multiple vendor devices ...?

I hope I have not been too vague.

• @pform said in LoRa Nano-Gateway vs LoRaWAN:

@bmarkus OK.

So if I just wanted to implement a closed LoRa solution whereby a group of nodes transmitted their information periodically back to a Lopy acting as a gateway to my server then I could simply do this using the tutorial I linked? I would not need to consider a LoRaWAN as such?

As long as you are happy with a closed system and don't care compatibility, you can do whatever you want and works. But still you must consider the local legal environment as you are using shared unlicensed frequencies. In Europe you are limited to max. 1% transmit duty rate, or 0.1% depending on channel. Rules are different region by region, but there are rules.

• @bmarkus OK.

So if I just wanted to implement a closed LoRa solution whereby a group of nodes transmitted their information periodically back to a Lopy acting as a gateway to my server then I could simply do this using the tutorial I linked? I would not need to consider a LoRaWAN as such?

• @pform said in LoRa Nano-Gateway vs LoRaWAN:

Is a true LoRaWAN "open" and will operate with multiple vendor devices ...?

If you mean open in tems of using a 3rd-party LoRaWAN network no, your device must be registered in a network which can be free or commercial.

In terms of specification, LoRaWAN is open, protocol specification is public and available from LoRa Alliance and there are many vendors offering devices which are compatible to the specification. There is a device certification program of LoRa Alliance, see list of certified products:

https://www.lora-alliance.org/Products/Certified-Products

For the network part, I mean Gateways and Network Servers there are no such certification procedure yet.

Pycom on Twitter