Too short LoRa range

• Hello, I'm on the LoPy and I can't exceed the 500 meters distance between my gateway and my node (I see some articles where we can have some kms). Here is the configuration of my gateway :

lora = LoRa (mode = LoRa.LORA, frequency = 868100000, power_mode = LoRa.ALWAYS_ON, tx_power = 14, banwidth = LoRa.BW_125KHZ, sf = 12, preamble = 8, coding_rate = LoRa. CODING_4_8, tx_iq = True, rx_iq = False)

and of my node :

lora = LoRa (mode = LoRa.LORA, frequency = 868100000, power_mode = LoRa.ALWAYS_ON, tx_power = 14, banwidth = LoRa.BW_125KHZ, sf = 12, preamble = 8, coding_rate = LoRa. CODING_4_8, tx_iq = Flase, rx_iq = True)

My current version :

(sysname='LoPy', nodename='LoPy', release='1.6.10.b1', version='v1.8.6-556-g989d5ac9 on 2017-03-30', machine='LoPy with ESP32', lorawan='1.0.0')

What might be the causes ?

PS : I have a antenna with a gain of 3dbi on my two LoPy.

Thank you

• @constantinos
    As you can see above he use already

very slow long range: bandwidth=LoRa.BW_125KHZ,coding_rate=LoRa.CODING_4_8,sf=12

• Just copied from another reply in other topic. I found this info in the datasheet of LoRa Tranceiver:

Mode of LoRa
    medium range: bandwidth=LoRa.BW_250KHZ,coding_rate=LoRa.CODING_4_5,sf=7
    fast short range: bandwidth=LoRa.BW_500KHZ,coding_rate=LoRa.CODING_4_5,sf=7
    slow long range: bandwidth=LoRa.BW_125KHZ,coding_rate=LoRa.CODING_4_8,sf=9
    very slow long range: bandwidth=LoRa.BW_125KHZ,coding_rate=LoRa.CODING_4_8,sf=12

• @livius

I have no directional antenna or other at the moment and I cant test now, but when I find a little time I will test and come back to you. And i know is juste radio, I think my LoRa configuration is optimal for long range communication and I hope I'm wrong because at the material level I couldn't do much.

• @bessonf said in Too short LoRa range:
    Any difference if you move antenna to different pont in the window?
    And do you see any difference (can test?) if you test this on clear field not from window?

do you have another antenna to test?
    Especially some directional antenna?

You know - this is not magic - this is only radio..

• @livius

It's a copy paste fail.

• @bessonf
    i see some typo is it copy paste?

ban width = LoRa.BW_125KHZ

instead

bandwidth = LoRa.BW_125KHZ

• @livius said in Too short LoRa range:

My two antennas have a clear view between them. One is at the window of a building and the other is on the street in front. There is little building around (I am on the seafront).

• @bessonf
    are both lopy visible to each other or there are some obstacles?
    Which environment? Neighbor antennas?

Please describe your situation more precisely.

Pycom on Twitter