Pymakr Atom Plugin released

• Hi @Ralph I see you have a lot on your plate, but I wonder if it will also be possible to one day program via a Jupyter notebook? This would be fantastic for rapid expolration of data generated by the board.
    Of interest https://github.com/adafruit/jupyter_micropython_kernel

• @MaSePreetz You are right, the behaviour is a little less straight forward. Turns out Atom stores this state per project. So if you have one project open, close the terminal and then close atom, the terminal will still be closed when opening that same project. But when opening another project, the state will be set to 'open' again.

Considering that, it might be useful for some people to have a 'don't open on startup' setting for the plugin, so it will always stay closed by default.

• Pybytes Beta

Hi @Ralph, thanks for the swift response.

You are right, i forgot about the disable button.

But the second method does not work for me when the plugin is enabled.
    Atom always opens the plugin window with auto-connect when i open Atom (Atom 1.16.0 on Windows 7 64Bit),
    regardless of the previous state of the plugin...

• Hi @MaSePreetz, Thanks for your feedback. At the moment there are already 2 ways to do this:

• In the Pymakr settings screen or you packages overview, you can Disable the entire plugin
    • Click the 'close' button of the terminal and leave it closed. When restarting atom it'll remember this state and will not connect. The 'open' button will stay on the bottom of the screen so you can open it at any time.

Is this what you were looking for?

• Pybytes Beta

I have one improvement for the plugin:

After a normal install the Plugin is always active and tries to connect to a Board with the last active settings.

This is fine in case Atom is only used as PyCon IDE.

But i use it as well as a normal editor and then the plugin window is in my way and thus reducing the amount of available screen space.

Is it possible to have a setting/checkbox in the preferences of the plugin to prevent the auto-start/auto-connection?

For me it would be fine to activate the plugin via the menu or even in the preferences when i need it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the plugin!

I feel with you about the serialport problems on the different platforms. Native node.js libraries are not easy at all.

Kind regards,
    Marc

• @mmbermudeza Good to hear you got it working. We're considering pre-compiling the library and shipping it with the plugin, so we will prevent these kinds of problems. We'll have to do some testing though to see if it works for all operating systems.

• @Ralph This solution didn't actually work for me even having python 2.7.
    Tried the npm install of serialport in node_modules but the versioning was wrong.
    At the end had to copy the folder from another computer and has been working ok since then

• @robmarkcole Thanks for the report, it was simply a wrong method name in the handling of the short-key ctrl-alt-s to do a sync. It has been fixed in the development branch on github and will be included in the next release. Unfortunately I released 0.9.3 today just before reading about your issue, so it'll be in 0.9.4 in a few days.

The missing sync and run button are a known issue, which I'm still investigating

• V0.9.3 has been released with some minor fixes:

• Improved sync stability and speed over serial
    • Solved disappearing line in terminal (github issue #3)
    • Other small bugfixes
    • Logger class for easier debugging

• Been getting a strange error after Atom loses connection to my board (e.g. when I sleep my mac):

0_1492333353906_upload-37d0f0db-22aa-42db-9387-3d8074ef0211

TypeError: _this.view.synchronize is not a function
    at atom-workspace.pymakrSynchronize (/Users/robincole/.atom/packages/Pymakr/lib/main.js:21:45)
    at CommandRegistry.module.exports.CommandRegistry.handleCommandEvent (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/command-registry.js:259:29)
    at CommandRegistry.handleCommandEvent (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/command-registry.js:3:59)
    at CommandRegistry.module.exports.CommandRegistry.dispatch (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/command-registry.js:160:19)
    at AtomEnvironment.module.exports.AtomEnvironment.dispatchApplicationMenuCommand (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/atom-environment.js:1179:28)
    at EventEmitter.outerCallback (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/application-delegate.js:312:25)
    at emitThree (events.js:116:13)
    at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:194:7)

Upon reconnection I not see the option to sync my code:

0_1492333417576_upload-94a8e32c-3345-47b0-8c5f-23742e51af53

However upon restarting Atom everything is normal again.

0_1492333499708_upload-6fc324dd-b00f-4f36-967d-c3c85cff0120

• @robmarkcole

+1 for this error (on Linux Mint 18 64-bit). I've tried all the solutions listed but they did not work.

• @robmarkcole thanks! We'll get this fixed :)

• @Ralph There is an error in your getting started doc, WLAN has not been imported. Is there a better way to provide this kind of feedback, e.g. Github? Cheers

0_1492236162455_upload-b6ef2a46-a893-4ee6-8582-c8a24c57dd4f

https://docs.pycom.io/pycom_esp32/pycom_esp32/getstarted.html#creating-a-project

• @Ralph Thanks Ralph, working now!

• @robmarkcole This issue has been solved in this github issue. The problem is that for some users, atom is using python 3.x while the compiler for serialport needs python 2.x (you can check it using apm --version).

I've added an explanation on the bottom of the readme file in the develop branch on github. The short story is, until we've automated it, the issue is solved by running the folling command and then re-installing Pymakr.

echo "python=/usr/bin/python2.7" >> ~/.atom/.apmrc

• @robmarkcole This is the error you get when anything goes wrong during installation of the dependencies, either of the serialport library or somewhere else during installation. If you remove the node_modules folder, the serialport library is the first one it will encounter and throw this error.

I noticed that everybody who got this error is on Atom 1.16, while I'm still on Atom 1.15 (on El Capitan). Possibly there is a compatibility issue there, which I'll check out.

• 0_1492162908815_upload-2710d56b-9b6e-4793-9d8c-04c7a5c238f9

Here are the errors:

Failed to load the Pymakr package
    Cannot find module 'serialport'
    Hide Stack Trace
    Error: Cannot find module 'serialport'
    at Module._resolveFilename (module.js:455:15)
    at Module._resolveFilename (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/electron.asar/common/reset-search-paths.js:35:12)
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/module-cache.js:383:52)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:403:25)
    at Module.require (module.js:483:17)
    at require (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/native-compile-cache.js:50:27)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/robincole/.atom/packages/Pymakr/lib/connections/pyserial.js:4:16)
    at Module._compile (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/native-compile-cache.js:109:30)
    at Object.value [as .js] (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:216:21)
    at Module.load (module.js:473:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3)
    at require (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/native-compile-cache.js:50:27)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/robincole/.atom/packages/Pymakr/lib/board/pyboard.js:3:34)
    at Module._compile (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/native-compile-cache.js:109:30)
    at Object.value [as .js] (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:216:21)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/Users/robincole/.atom/packages/Pymakr/lib/main.js:7:21)
    The error was thrown from the Pymakr package. This issue has already been reported.
    View Issue

• @Ralph v1.6.12.b1. Thanks.

• @RobTuDelft Normally if a connection is still active to the device, you'll get a connection refused. if you get a 'password timed out' means that it reaches the device but something goes wrong during authentication. I've had this error a lot when the router at our office was not cooperating well and it just timed out. I'll do some testing on telnet today to see if I can reproduce it.
    Which firmware version do you have running on your lopy?

• @RobTuDelft To update on my own post, it did manage to connect today. After that I tried some commands and clicked 'close' to close the panel in Atom. This seems to be the source of the problem, the telnet connection will stay active on the Lopy, but not in Atom. When you want to reopen again you will get the password timed out error.

Pycom on Twitter