FiPy on Telia Norway LTE-M1

• Hello, Norway based Telia employee here!

I just got the GPy and FiPy in the mail today and I am trying to connect to a base station which is M1-enabled for testing purposes. I copied the example from the documentation but it does not seem to work. lte.isconnected() returns False no matter what I try? I saw that LTE.init() takes a cid parameter, should it be set to 1 for all operators except Verizon (that's how I read the documentation)?

There are some posts about a debug mode where I can see some more information and perhaps AT-commands. How do I enable this?

There are also some posts about the module needing to be certified with different operators. This has not been a problem for any of the others that I have tried (Ublox, Telit, Quectel, Simcom) and after asking around no one seems to know about us requiring any certification to allow devices in our network.

• @GeirFrimann hello, I`m just starting out, can you share your settings for telia?

• @albert
    Well I'm living in Sweden, and after updating the modem firmware with the
    latest file (upgdiff_33080-to-41065.dup) I finally got the device connected:

from network import LTE

lte = LTE()

def connect_internet():
        MyApn = "lpwa.telia.iot"
        lte = LTE()
        lte.init()
        lte.attach(apn=MyApn)
        time.sleep(1)
        print("LTE coverage:", lte.ue_coverage())

while not lte.isattached():
            time.sleep(0.5)
            print('Attaching...')

lte.connect()
        while not lte.isconnected():
            time.sleep(0.5)
            print('Connecting...')

print("\nConnected to LTE-M:",MyApn)

#---------------------------------------------------------
    # MAIN
    #---------------------------------------------------------

connect_internet()
    client = connect_MQTT_Broker()

Output:

Connecting to COM3...
    LTE coverage: False
    Attaching...
    Attaching...

Connected to LTE-M: lpwa.telia.iot
    Connected to MQTT Broker: mymqttbroker.com

I wish there where a easier way to upgrade the modem firmware though...

• Hi @colateral
    I'm not at Pycom anymore, the last manual I had access is the one published for Cat M1. Maybe one of the current team can help, sorry.

• @jmarcelino Where we can find the Seaquans manual for AT commands? Above link from xykon is not working anymore .

• Hi! Today I finally got a breakthrough and managed to get the FiPy online on NB-IoT! Pycom are still working on LTE-M, but at least we are one step further!

This is what needs to be done:

1. Upgrade Pycom firmware to at least version 1.18.1.r2 using the Pycom firmware update tool. At the time of writing, this version is only available through manual download via the forum: [LINK NO LONGER AVAILABLE]. Because of this, you can not use the automatic download in the updater tool but need to download the firmware and select "Upgrade from file".
    2. Upgrade Sequans firmware to at least version NB1–38729. This is the LTE modem inside the Pycom module. Note that only NB-IoT is working at the moment, Pycom are still working on LTE-M. Follow the steps here: https://docs.pycom.io/tutorials-and-examples/lte/firmware
    3. Below is an example sending and receiving data from an echo server, in this case echo.ublox.com:
    from network import LTE
    import socket
    lte = LTE()
    lte.send_at_cmd('AT+CFUN=0')
    lte.send_at_cmd('AT!="clearscanconfig"')
    lte.send_at_cmd('AT!="addscanfreq band=20 dl-earfcn=6252"')
    lte.send_at_cmd('AT!="zsp0:npc 1"')
    lte.send_at_cmd('AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","lpwa.telia.iot"')
    lte.send_at_cmd('AT+CFUN=1')
    print("Attaching...")
    while not lte.isattached():
        pass
    print("Connecting...")
    lte.connect()
    while not lte.isconnected():
        pass
    print("Creating socket...")
    s = socket.socket()
    address = '195.34.89.241' # echo.ublox.com
    port = 7
    try:
        s.connect((address, port))
    except OSError:
        print("Failed to open socket!")
        exit(0)
    print("Sending message...")
    s.send(b"Hello world\r\n")
    print("Getting response:")
    print(s.readline())
    print(s.readline())
    print("Closing socket and disconnecting...")
    s.close()
    lte.disconnect()
    lte.dettach()
    print("Test complete!")```

• Hi @Albert,

Thanks for your interest. I've reached out by e-mail because we need to collect some details regarding your network as you're running a test setup - we have no information on what Telia Norway is using for Cat M1.

Pycom on Twitter