Class-C sample

• Dear all,

we've got our RG1xx Gateway up and running - pretty awesome and easy experience

We can already do the basic Class-A communication where the node creates an uplink msg to received a possible downlink msg.
    For our use case we want to be in "always listen mode", and I guess this is Class-C. Therefore I changed the example source accordingly to Class-C initialization:

lora = LoRa(mode=LoRa.LORAWAN, public=True, tx_retries=3, device_class=LoRa.CLASS_C)

s = socket.socket(socket.AF_LORA, socket.SOCK_RAW)
    s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_LORA, socket.SO_DR, 5)
    s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_LORA, socket.SO_CONFIRMED, False)
    s.setblocking(False)

But... how do I proceed with receiving the messages? Eg for receiving only one test byte my infinite loop simply looks like this:

while True:
        rx, port = s.recvfrom(1)

But nothing is received

Is there any sample for the Class-C mode?

• Class B is currently not supported in the pycom firmware for the Lopy.

You might be able to write some addition to the firmware to build it yourself, though I suspect it will be some work

• What about class B devices? Is it necessary to make some code for Lopy (end node)?
    Thank you.

• Can any of those who have now successfully got class C downlinks working please share some example code? I've been at this all week and like many others here: I can get downlinks in class A or C in the RX window after sending but never outside of it.

I'm also interested in some comments on how best to handle downlink messages, I can see some info on defining event driven callbacks but the docs don't make it clear whether this is supposed to be used for both LoRa and LoRaWAN. Otherwise I guess you'd just stop the socket from blocking and try to receive on that socket as part of a main loop, this seems a little messy but I'd just be happy to have it working.

• yeah I tried @jmarcelino port option while you were writing @Neuromystix , setting port and works ;-)

24/05/2018 16:59:16 Downlink: {"devaddr":"03128BC8","data":"0164","port":2, "time":"immediately"}

Lopy Side

Downlink received
    Cmd=0x01
    Value=100% Dac1=0.8

thanks all :-)

• @charly86 You'll need to specify also a port number for class C to work:

{"devaddr":"03128BC8","data":"0100", "port":2, "time":"immediately"}

• @jmarcelino I'm using websocket for that, and with json, for class A I'm sending this and got downlink just after uplink (it works also with class C)

24/05/2018 16:16:11 Downlink: {"devaddr":"03128BC8","data":"0100"}

but for class C, when I send this nothing happens, even sending uplink just after to try to get downlink

24/05/2018 16:15:32 Downlink: {"devaddr":"03128BC8","data":"0100","time":"immediately"}

Anyway I'll try A timed one, may be I'm not doing things correctly

• @charly86
    Thanks, for the Gotthard server how are you triggering the Class C downlink? Are you specifying the correct port and time?

• @jmarcelino
    Thanks, I'm using this one https://github.com/gotthardp/lorawan-server with this configuration

0_1527172340709_e07f1c70-7c5e-437c-b0b6-ef727111e257-image.png

• Hi @charly86

It should be. What's your network server? Is it sending the downlink on RX2 correctly, do you know which frequency/sf it is using?

• Hi guys
    have you got an example of class C device working?
    I've done several tests and got only downlink when I send an uplink.

Is class C is working (I got last firmware at this day)
    Thanks

• Hello all,

Forget it, it's working fine here. Received downlink data in 869,525 and with any DR. Bad server configuration was the problem.

I have the same problem here. I'm running locally a Lorawan Server and i can send up or downlink messages in Class-A mode without any problem. When trying to use Class-C i never receive nothing. I know that the server send the message, because i use a SDR to confirm it.
    My test code is:

#Class C test code
    lora = LoRa(mode=LoRa.LORAWAN, region=LoRa.EU868, public=True, device_class=LoRa.CLASS_C)
    lora_channel_init()
    lora.join(activation=LoRa.OTAA, auth=(app_eui, app_key), timeout=config.JOIN_TIMEOUT, dr=config.JOIN_DR)
    print('Not joined yet...')
    while not lora.has_joined():
        blink(red, 0.5, 1)
    print('  ---  Joined Sucessfully  ---  ')

s = socket.socket(socket.AF_LORA, socket.SOCK_RAW)
    s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_LORA, socket.SO_DR, config.LORA_NODE_DR)
    s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_LORA, socket.SO_CONFIRMED, config.LORA_NODE_CONFIRMED)
    s.setblocking(False)

while True:
        rx, port = s.recvfrom(12)
        if rx:
            print('Received: {}, on port: {}'.format(rx, port))
            #blink(yellow, 0.1, 2)

The code configure three channels in 868,1 and then join the network. When inside the loop, it never receive nothing.

Channel 0 in frequency 868100000
    Channel 1 in frequency 868100000
    Channel 2 in frequency 868100000
    Not joined yet...
      ---  Joined Sucessfully  ---

If i change the code and insert a send inside the loop, when trying to downlink a message to Lopy, it receives it inside the RX1 window normally but never outside of it.

pkt_send = 0
    while True:
        s.setblocking(True)
        s.send(bytes([0x00,0x01]))
        s.setblocking(False)
        rx, port = s.recvfrom(12)
        if rx:
            print('Received: {}, on port: {}'.format(rx, port))
            #blink(yellow, 0.1, 2)
        time.sleep(5)

Next image shows a downlink message sended in normal class A style, using RX1 windows.
    0_1518800245134_SendingClsA.jpg

Here i tried to send multiple downlinks outside RX window time but Lopy never received none.
    0_1518800216855_SendingClsA2.jpg

Any idea how to solve it or what could be wrong? Did Lopy use the default LoraWAN RX2 frequency and DR??

• @jmarcelino yes, that was the problem :) thx

• Hi @derchris

You still need to join the network with lora.join(activation=... , auth=(...)) as you do in Class A even for Class C.

Perhaps that's the problem?

If not please tell me more about your setup, which network server are you using etc.

Thanks.

Pycom on Twitter