LOPY in case running on battery

• I'm new to LOPY world. I would like to know what is required to get LOPY to run on battery and what sort of battery / connector I need so I can order all the parts I need at the same time.

Do I need to connect LOPY to the expansion board or to PyTrack and then connect that a battery to power LOPY?
    Or can I connect some type of battery directly to LOPY?
    What sort of battery will I need?

• @thr If you are using Pytrack, connect the battery to the dedicated battery connector on Pytrack.

• @robert-hh said in LOPY in case running on battery:

You can also connect a LiPo battery directly to Vin/GND of the module. The only thing to consider is not to exceed 5.5V at Vin.

If I wanted to also do this as well as using the PyTrack as mentioned above, how do I go about it?
    Is it simply a matter of attaching a LiPo battery direclty to the Vin/GND?
    Do I need something else? An adapter or power regulator?

• @thr said in LOPY in case running on battery:

I can attach a LiPo battery to the PyTrack and then attach the PyTrack to the USB port of my PC and it will slowly charge up the LiPo until I unplug it form USB computer / power?

Yes, you can charge the LiPo battery through the USB port, either using the PC or any other USB power adapter.

• Thanks. All.
    Think I'll buy a LOPY with the PyTrack and IP67 Case for Pysense/Pytrack. That way I can use the Pytrack to program and connect to a LiPo battery!

@robert-hh said in LOPY in case running on battery:

Pytrack has a battery charger on board and the USB/Serial bridge to suuport programming and firmware update.

Pardon the newbe question, but does that mean I can attach a LiPo battery to the PyTrack and then attach the PyTrack to the USB port of my PC and it will slowly charge up the LiPo until I unplug it form USB computer / power?
    Or do I need to buy something like this also: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904

• @thr You can use the pytrack shield for both battery connection and programming. Pytrack has a battery charger on board and the USB/Serial bridge to suuport programming and firmware update.

• Thank you very much @robert-hh

The only thing to consider is not to exceed 5.5V at Vin.

Will I need some sort of battery management or regulator for this? Or do the batteries provide this?

LiPo battery, connected to the expansion board

Can I use the PyTrack? And separately, can I use the PyTrack to program LOPY (thereby avoiding buying the expansion board)?

• any 1-cell LiPo 3.7V battery (with needed capacity) should be OK
    • JST 2-pin connector with 2.0mm raster
    • Expansion Board 2.0 / Pysense / Pytrack has built-in LiPo battery charger

Also look here

• Hi,

Adafruit sell many compatible batteries: https://www.adafruit.com/category/889

Just be careful when purchasing from other suppliers that the battery polarity is correct. I have had to swap the connector polarity on many batteries with JST-PH connectors in order to use them with Pycom products.

• @thr The most conevient is a rechargable LiPo battery, connected to the expansion board. Theer are plenty available with the matching connector. Go for capacities of at least 1000 mAh. You can also connect a LiPo battery directly to Vin/GND of the module. The only thing to consider is not to exceed 5.5V at Vin.

Pycom on Twitter

Looks like your connection to Pycom Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.