Workable editor for Windows virtual machine

• I have both a WiPy and a LoPy here and I need to setup a workable editor environment. I also need to have the editor working within a Windows 7 or 8 VM, I am using VM Workstation 14.

Whilst Ampy and a serial terminal do work, its not so easy to swap between the two. I have the LoPy connected via a FTDI USB to serial adapter. The repl is fine on this setup with a proper serial terminal such as Teraterm.

Atom just kills Windows 7 and 8, even when I give it 8GB of RAM, it constanly runs at 99% CPU, and the repl can take 30 seconds and more to acknowledge a keypress, its unuseable.

Visual studio code is not such a processor hog, still a little slow however, but it it wont connect at all.

What does work with very little effort and automatically connects to the LoPy, is the earlier Pymakr IDE. Very lightweight on the CPU and a normal response in the repl.

Whilst I appreciate that the Pymakr IDE may no longer be supported, it does have the benefit of working here, problem is I cannot seem to find the instructions, are they still available ?

• @charly86 No idea. I ran it once, and it worked. Now that I tried it again, it fails. I can get the file listing, but cannot download files.
    Normally, I use FireFTP, since I have anyhow Firefox running most of the time.

• How did you succeed with notepad++, since we need to set FTP to only one simultaneous connexion (option available on filezilla) I never found this one one notepad++ and never get it working, so if you have a trick, you'll save my day

• @loratracker I personally use a mix of FireFTP/PC Editor (gedit on Linux, Notepad++ on Windows), and as well an editor script (pye.py), which runs on the xxPy device itself for fast fixes. It requires a VT100 compatible terminal emulator, like Putty/Teraterm/picocom/screen ... Together with the upysh.py set of tools I have a "micro OS" on the device itself.

• @robert-hh
    I can connect by WiFi, and then change the WiPy\LoPy settings to connect to my own WiFi.

And to be fair it does work well with filezilla, but the WiFi in my workshop is not so good for portable devices. The PC has a decent antenna mounted high up to link into the domestic WiFi.

Using the WiFi also creates a setup that is not portable, without a deal of re-configuration, that is something I would like to avoid.

• @loratracker If you cann connect the devices by WiFi, you have a few options. You could use either a FTP client like Filezilla or FireFTP to exchange files with the xxPy. Both allow to integrate your favorite editor, and load the file as requested if you double-click the file name. You can also use Notepad++ and the ftp extension.
    In parallel, you can have the terminal window with Putty or TeraTerm.
    That's a little bit less convenient than the Atom/VSC+Pymakr combo, but at least you have full control and visibility about what happens. Lack of that is one of the common problems with Pymakr.

• @charly86 said in Workable editor for Windows virtual machine:

@loratracker said in Workable editor for Windows virtual machine:

Ampy

Nice, need to try this one, can it put Lopy board into safe mode before upload and then reset board after ?

I would not consider myself an advanced enough Ampy user to give a good answer .......

• @loratracker said in Workable editor for Windows virtual machine:

Ampy

Nice, need to try this one, can it put Lopy board into safe mode before upload and then reset board after ?

• @charly86 My host PC is a core i7, 3.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, so it ought to have enough power.

Anyway, like you I would like a standalone Pymakr we can run on command line because installing ATOM just for upload on customer computers is not a good option ;-)

Ampy does work, but with Windows at least you have to exit your serial terminal application, run ampy and then restart the terminal application.

• @LoRaTracker
    I'm using ATOM + Pymark in old Windows Computer (5 years) core i3 3Ghz with 8Gb of RAM and it's working fine (but not tried in VM) and with Chrome + Arduino IDE + Sublime Text in the same session and my cpu is about 10%. Upload from pymakr takes 5s so that's strange.

Anyway, like you I would like a standalone Pymakr we can run on command line because installing ATOM just for upload on customer computers is not a good option ;-)

Pycom on Twitter