How to set join request SF in OTAA mode?

• Hello,

Is it possible to set the SF of the join requests that the LoPy sends to the GW. The problem is that my LoPy is sending the join requests only on SF7 and most of the time in cannot receive the join accept message from the GW. 0_1548183167782_Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 20.48.16.png

• @miroslav-petrov Hi, yes adr need to be driven by gateway. In pycom documentation adr is parameter of lora constructor.
    So what make you said it's not work ? As far i know some network compute adr setting only after a big sample of rx frame (for a nation wide operator in france they use approximatly one hundred of frame before send first downlink adr request to my device).
    Does your gateway show if adr is set in your uplink frame ?

• @eric73

Thank you for the quick response. Now with lower DR it works from the first join request. But I have another question, how to use the adaptive data rate feature of LoRaWAN? I tried with LoRa(mode=LoRa.LORAWAN, region=LoRa.EU868, adr=True) but nothing happens. As I have read somewhere when using OTAA its possible to use ADR where the node and gateway negotiate the best data rate.

• According to pycom documentation when you call lora.join you can add parameter <dr=0> (eg SF12,125BW) (I think your using EU868).

lora.join(activation=LoRa.OTAA, auth=(dev_eui, app_eui, app_key), timeout=0,dr=0)

BUT are you sure that your gateway have send a join-accept to your device ?
    Because, if the gateway receive your device frame there's a chance that your device will receive answer from gateway in RXW1 (same freq same DR as your request) and even more chance in RXW2 (869.525 SF12 fallback except from ttn they use SF9 and not SF12 in RXW2)
    If you plan to use TTN please have alook on https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/pycom-fipy-connects-ok-with-abp-but-not-otaa/13426

Pycom on Twitter