Stuck at "Failed to connect (Error: Port is not open)" between Atom and GPy/Pysense on Fedora computer

• Hello,

Im running a GPy on a Pysense and trying to connect to it using Atom with the Pymakr package on a Fedora install. Following the "Your first Pymakr project" instructions here:
    https://docs.pycom.io/gettingstarted/programming/first-project.html

Combining this with the instructions for setting up Pymakr on Atom here:
    https://docs.pycom.io/pymakr/installation/atom.html

I plug in the GPy/Pysense and the dialog on Atom shows: "Connecting to /dev/ttyACM0..." which never finishes and the device starts it heartbeat blinking. It will stay in the connecting mode until I click the connect button and then it gives the following:

Connecting to /dev/ttyACM0...
    Connection attempt canceled

Failed to connect (Error: Port is not open). Click here to try again.
    Failed to connect (Error: Port is not open). Click here to try again.

I've been trying to figure out how to configure the port to open but I cannot seem to find any help on that.
    Even though the instructions on setting up the Atom (second link above) says to set the "device address" as the result of running "get serial ports" this doesnt have an effect with or with out the "autoconnect on usb" checked. (Note: the instructions for setting up the Atom say to click "general settings" but the parameter for device address is under general settings>packages>pymakr>settings which is kind of confusing, but anyway).

How can i configure the port to be open to atom so i can upload programs from atom to the gpy/pysense?

I was able to use Putty on my windows pc to talk to the device and get the light to change colors and turn off but I dont really want to use windows since ive started in linux and because it seems atom has more functionality (i dont have a lot of experience with putty so maybe im wrong).

Let me know if anyone reads this or has any recommendations.

Thanks

• I ended up using Atom on my windows pc and was able to talk on the port no problem. I'm not sure why the port was closed on the fedora pc. Hopefully this helps someone in their setup.

• @andrethemac Hi andre. Thanks for the reply. Which user account are you asking about? The user for the OS is the only one and should have full privileges. If there is another user youre talking about, I'm not aware of it so please let me know how to check that. Thanks, E

• This post is deleted!

• @ev8gpy1 Question: is your user/account member of the dialout group? This is needed to connect to the pysense (pyscan/pytrack/... or an arduino...)
    Andrรฉ

Pycom on Twitter