Wipy/Lopy4 losing firmware

• Re: FiPy/Pytrack losing its firmware each day

Hi All

I've experienced this a couple of times with both Wipy3/Lopy4 units - where they completely lose their firmware and the device is restored to factory settings. I suspect it has to do with the development units being powered by empty batteries which are incapable of supplying enough power during operation/transmission.

I will report back with more details - but wanted to post this and ask if other users have experienced similar issues?

Thanks

• Global Moderator

@HenroRitchie In the module pycoproc.py, which you use for PySense, there is a function called read_battery_voltage(). You can use that to test, whether the battery is low. Call:
    Pycoproc.read_battery_voltage()
    The damage should only occur if you write to the flash. But one never knows what a code does, which goes haywire.

• @robert-hh This is exactly what I mean - by factory settings I mean the device is in the same state that I received it in from Pycom, or after updating the firmware, and yes empty versions of main.py and boot.py is loaded.

Any advice to prevent this? I am using the Pysense board and from my understanding, there is no interrupt from the battery charger to tell the device to turn off when the battery is nearly empty.

• Global Moderator

@HenroRitchie What do you mean with factory settings? The Pycom devices have not factory settings, at least not for the firmware. It may happen that the file system gets corrupted, especially if the power drops during file writes. At that point you have to recreate the file system, which creates default (=empty) versions of main.py and boot.py.

Pycom on Twitter