How to solve the firmware update failures

• @Xykon Hi, we are having the same problem, although after multiple attempts, it did get past that immediate fail, but, then had a fail with an unknown error in pythonW. Not sure what is going at the moment.

• administrators

If anyone still has problems with firmware update failures: 0.9.2.b1 has just been released. This release fixes the bug where the flash memory gets write protected in some cases.

I just tried the new firmware updater for Windows, it goes through the questions about LoPy/country/COM port but then fails immediately. Trying to figure out why.

I manually flashed the firmware, partition table and bootloader so it's not a big problem but I'm curious why the updater doesn't work.

• Very nice to hear you got it working @livius

If anyone still has problems with firmware update failures: 0.9.2.b1 has just been released. This release fixes the bug where the flash memory gets write protected in some cases.

• I see that i have python 2.7.11
    with python 2.7.12 now all looks good :)

Will be good to see in steeps that we need python 2.7.12

esptool.py v2.0-dev
    Connecting...
    Uploading stub...
    Running stub...
    Stub running...
    Attaching SPI flash...
    Configuring flash size...
    Erasing flash...
    Unc size 615696 comp size 362758 comp blocks 355
    Wrote 362758 bytes at 0x00210000 in 32.6 seconds (89.1 kbit/s)...
    Hash of data verified.

Leaving...

• administrators

What happens when you run "esptool.py version" and "esptool.py --chip esp32". Can you please post exact output of both commands?

• i try type it but the same error
    in previous post you have copy from cmd.exe window - without any modification - maybe i miss something?

• administrators

error: argument operation: invalid choice: 'esp32'

Are you sure you copied the command correctly? Maybe try typing it manually on the command line?

• i try
    esptool.py --chip esp32 --port COM3 --baud 115200 write_flash 0x210000 wipy_0.9.1.b1.bin -fs 4MB -z
    and got error:

C:\Python27\flash_debug_tool>esptool.py --chip esp32 --port COM3 --baud 115200 w
    rite_flash 0x210000 wipy_0.9.1.b1.bin -fs 4MB -z
    usage: esptool [-h] [--port PORT] [--baud BAUD]
    {load_ram,dump_mem,read_mem,write_mem,write_flash,run,image_info,
    make_image,elf2image,read_mac,chip_id,flash_id,read_flash,verify_flash,erase_fla
    sh,version}
    esptool: error: argument operation: invalid choice: 'esp32' (choose from 'load_r
    am', 'dump_mem', 'read_mem', 'write_mem', 'write_flash', 'run', 'image_info', 'm
    ake_image', 'elf2image', 'read_mac', 'chip_id', 'flash_id', 'read_flash', 'verif
    y_flash', 'erase_flash', 'version')

• @Xykon said in How to solve the firmware update failures:

I don't have a WiPy2 but if someone can upload the 4MB flash dump I can take a look to confirm the memory regions for the firmware images. I'd be surprised if they are any different from the LoPy though.

Don't use the ftp method, if you look at Xykon post below you will have a solution. I tried everything and the only thing the worked was (on a windows OS):-

1. Install python 2.7 and pyserial
    2. Run the tool to unlock the flash area via command prompt (See official instructions)
    3. Install the standalone update tool (next, next finish)
    4. Copy the appropriate bin file for your device from C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware update\Upgrader to the location of the tools folder e.g. C:\flash_debug_tool
    5. Open CMD in the directory you have the tools in e.g. "C:\flash_debug_tool" or cd to it and run the below
      esptool.py --chip esp32 --port COM3 --baud 115200 write_flash 0x210000 lopy_0.9.1.b1_868.bin -fs 4MB -z

Change the com3 to your comport number
    Change the lopy_0.9.1.b1_868.bin to your bin file name (lopy_0.9.1.b1_868.bin, lopy_0.9.1.b1_915.bin or wipy_0.9.1.b1.bin)

this will install the latest firmware onto the default boot partition.

thank you

• administrators

I don't have a WiPy2 but if someone can upload the 4MB flash dump I can take a look to confirm the memory regions for the firmware images. I'd be surprised if they are any different from the LoPy though.

• @Ralph
    I have tried it
    It can conect and send data to wipy
    but it can not connect after rebot and say that update failed
    It store image to Wipy because wipy can not start normally only in "self" mode and it revert temporarly to old version.

After that problems i have tried to put the same appimg.bin self by ftp with same result. It store bin file and of course it dissapear
    but wipy can not start - only in self mode

• @livius Thanks, I hadn't realised that is an option. For anyone else using Windows, you can probably find the .bin files at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\Upgrader

• @livius Thanks!

• @jgmdavies
    I have downloaded updated app and go to folder and rename file for wipy to appimg.bin
    then i put it by ftp

• @livius Did you try the Pycom updater, or where did you get the file appimg.bin?

Jim

• Hi, @livius

First, try using the update tool (go to Firmware Updates) to update your WiPy2.0 and see if it solves your problem. This tool wil automatically update to the latest version.

If you still have the crash at startup after doing this, please provide the code you are using that is making it crash, and we can help you fix it.

• Hi,

i have problem with update my Wipy2.0.
    I have unlocked successfully - all looks like on screen @Batilan

But i still ca not update my board. When i copy appimg.bin to /flash/sys and restart my WiPy
    it does not start. If i turn on self mode it start with oldest firmware.

Two questions here:

1. how to upgrade to most recent version?
    2. how to permanently revert this update? I see no way to revert firmware to any previous version PERMANENTLY. I can revert it temporary but not permanently.

I try update WiPy2.0 only because it crash on simple blink heart led in the loop. And i think first upgrade and test again.

• Hi,

i have problem with update my Wipy2.0.
    I have unlocked successfully - all looks like on screen @Batilan

But i still ca not update my board. When i copy appimg.bin to /flash/sys and restart my WiPy
    it does not start. If i turn on self mode it start with oldest firmware.

Two questions here:

1. how to upgrade to most recent version?
    2. how to permanently revert this update? I see no way to revert firmware to any previous version PERMANENTLY. I can revert it temporary but not permanently.

I try update WiPy2.0 only because it crash on simple blink heart led in the loop. And i think first upgrade and test again.

• administrators

@Bashir said in How to solve the firmware update failures:

Thank you

Glad I could help.

Would you mind up-voting my post above? This helps getting rid of certain restrictions on this forum.

• @oneeyed said in How to solve the firmware update failures:

@Xykon said in How to solve the firmware update failures:

esptool.py --chip esp32 --port COM24 --baud 115200 write_flash 0x210000 lopy_0.9.1.b1_868.bin -fs 4MB -z

Indeed it allowed be to program the firmware as well, when no other methods could. Thanks.

Hi, I can confirm this method worked for me also. I flashed the default address and recovery areas.

Thank you

Pycom on Twitter