Firmware update, not possible on either windows or mac osx...

• @soren If serial is working in a sense that you get a REPL prompt with a serial terminal like screen, then you could try Adafruit's ampy tool or Dave Hylands' rshell ( They both are pretty generic and allow to exchange scripts with the board and run them. This way, you can also set your board again for ftp. The script I use on my LoPy to set it to station mode is:

import network
    import time
    # setup as a station
    wlan = network.WLAN(mode=network.WLAN.STA)
    wlan.connect(ssid=MY_SSID, auth=(network.WLAN.WPA2, MY_PASSWD))
    while not wlan.isconnected():
    wlan.ifconfig(config=(MY_FIXED_IP, "", MY_GATEWAY,  MY_DNS))

Obviously, you have to set the proper values for MY_xxx. If you do not need a fixed address, you can skip the line with wlan.ifconfig()

• @jmarcelino Hey, OK so I think I got serial working now, but I still can't sync my project from pymakr... just keeps saying "syncing failed".. is this because there is already bootleader on the lopy? remember, I can't get into ftp because I tried changing wlan password which didn't work and now I can't connect to it.

• @soren
    You really need serial working to recover properly.

I suspect your problem is that AppleUSBFTDI.kext is overriding your other FTDI driver.

There's also FTDIKext.kext - did you install more FTDI drivers in OSX other than the VCP by any chance?

Try to disable AppleUSBFTDI manually by doing

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns
    sudo mv AppleUSBFTDI.kext AppleUSBFTDI.disabled

and then restarting. This will prevent it from loading and might allow the correct one to work.

EDIT That said I'm now more suspicious of the D2xxHelper you listed, let me know if you installed any more drivers from FTDI. You may need to disable more.

• You could try the safe boot procedure But I'm not sure whether that brings you back to the standard WiFi credentials. I think so, but cannot remember, whethe rI've gone this path once.
    You mentioned to have tried Windows. You need the VCP driver von Windows too. But that should be less of a problem. The easient choice is Linux! You could try to boot a PC (or MAC?) with a Linux test image. Most distributions have images which you can boot from USB or DVD. Try Ubuntu, Lint or Knoppix.

• @robert-hh hi Robert, thanks for your reply.

So I managed to get an FTP access up and running (awesome!!) but I also managed to try and change the server and wlan login credentials, which now resulted in the lopy not showing up as a wlan.. (well f*'** done soren).. so now I literally have no idea how to get access to my lopy with USB not working propperly.. any ideas ?

did a factory reset, but this did not seem to change my boot and main files.. which means i still can't see the lopy on wifi

• I agree, stick with telnet + ftp for development and leave the serial connection for firmware upgrades and debugging.

I do think you have too many serial drivers installed and active and - as they say, too many serial drivers in the kitchen spoils the broth - you'll need to actually disable or delete the ones you don't need.

• When you say: "synched a project", does thar mean you#re using Pymakr? If yes, don't do that. Pymakr simply adds another layer of strange issues. Better use basic tools, like an ftp client of your choice, screen or telnet, ...
    There you have much better response, and if you have issues, the reason is obvious.

• Just saw your edit on the original post. Glad you got it working in the end!

Yeah USB serial drivers can be a confusing mess - and actually FTDI has some of the best drivers.

• @jmarcelino
    so, after being able to connect and I synced a project several times - now I suddenly am back to being unable to connect. I did not reboot my system.. It just tells me "invalid device address.." and the lopy doesn't show up in configurations.. this has got to be the most uneasy mcu i've ever dealt with

• @jmarcelino said in Firmware update, not possible on either windows or mac osx...:

kextfind -case-insensitive -bundle-id -substring 'FTDI' -print

kextfind gives me:

this is so weird though. trying to unload the mac ftdi driver with:

sudo kextunload -b

just gives me:

Can't create –b.
    Can't create

• @soren
    Yes it's not loading the driver for some reason. Can you post the result of:

kextfind -case-insensitive -bundle-id -substring 'FTDI' -print

to see if it's correctly installed and if there's any conflicts?

you can also try manually loading it with

sudo kextload -bundle-id com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver

• @jmarcelino

Now it freakin works.. SOooo, there's a difference between vcp and the dxx ftdi drivers.. i did not know about the vcp before until just now. installing the vcp seems to be working now. also, i have currently unloaded the apple ftdi driver which might also be necessary but i'm not sure. phew, this is a rather frustrating process to go through.. thanks so much for the help @jmarcelino though!

I don't see a cu.usbserial-xxxx... no, sorry. this is what i get:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 3 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 5 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.JabraStylev130-CSRGAIA

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 7 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.iPhone-WirelessiAP

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 1 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.lpss-serial2

here's my result of kextstat -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver:

list itemIndex Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>

so.. this looks like the ftdi driver is not being found at all, right?

• @soren
    Ok that looks good, so what do you get from a ls -l /dev/cu.* ?

Is there a line with /dev/cu.usbserial-xxxxxxxx? (the xxxxxxxx part doesn't really matter)

EDIT Also can you post the result of

kextstat -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver

• @jmarcelino yes, my mac see's the unit as a ft230x basic UART.

EDIT: I also tried a different USB cable now, just for the sake of excluding that.. no difference

• @soren
    Try looking in  (Apple) menu -> About This Mac -> press System Report and then choose USB from the list

If your Mac can see the Expansion Board you'll have a device saying FT230X Basic UART , like this:
    0_1490263549065_Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.02.12.png

• @jmarcelino I do have ftdi drivers installed, but that does not seem to make a difference on my osx system. It shouldn't be the USB C dongle obscuring things, because it's working just fine with eg. Arduino boards

• @jmarcelino Right!

I installed FTDI drivers on windows now which made it possible to update on my windows PC (actually thought that was only necessary for mac), but having installed ftdi drivers on my mac doesn't make any difference unfortunately..

• @rskoniec @soren My problem why I had to install manually was probably because I had my windows updates shut down. So it wouldn't update automatically. So probably installing it manually will help.

• @soren
    Yes both firmware update and REPL are done over the UART serial.

If you're not seeing the correct device try installing the FTDI drivers from

Pycom on Twitter

Looks like your connection to Pycom Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.