Firmware update, not possible on either windows or mac osx...

• @jmarcelino

EDIT EDIT
    Now it freakin works.. SOooo, there's a difference between vcp and the dxx ftdi drivers.. i did not know about the vcp before until just now. installing the vcp seems to be working now. also, i have currently unloaded the apple ftdi driver which might also be necessary but i'm not sure. phew, this is a rather frustrating process to go through.. thanks so much for the help @jmarcelino though!

I don't see a cu.usbserial-xxxx... no, sorry. this is what i get:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 3 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 5 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.JabraStylev130-CSRGAIA

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 7 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.iPhone-WirelessiAP

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 1 Mar 23 10:41 /dev/cu.lpss-serial2

here's my result of kextstat -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver:

list itemIndex Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>

EDIT
    so.. this looks like the ftdi driver is not being found at all, right?

• @soren
    Ok that looks good, so what do you get from a ls -l /dev/cu.* ?

Is there a line with /dev/cu.usbserial-xxxxxxxx ? (the xxxxxxxx part doesn't really matter)

EDIT Also can you post the result of

kextstat -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver

• @jmarcelino yes, my mac see's the unit as a ft230x basic UART.

EDIT: I also tried a different USB cable now, just for the sake of excluding that.. no difference

• @soren
    Try looking in  (Apple) menu -> About This Mac -> press System Report and then choose USB from the list

If your Mac can see the Expansion Board you'll have a device saying FT230X Basic UART , like this:
    0_1490263549065_Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 10.02.12.png

• @jmarcelino I do have ftdi drivers installed, but that does not seem to make a difference on my osx system. It shouldn't be the USB C dongle obscuring things, because it's working just fine with eg. Arduino boards

• @jmarcelino Right!

I installed FTDI drivers on windows now which made it possible to update on my windows PC (actually thought that was only necessary for mac), but having installed ftdi drivers on my mac doesn't make any difference unfortunately..

• @rskoniec @soren My problem why I had to install manually was probably because I had my windows updates shut down. So it wouldn't update automatically. So probably installing it manually will help.

• @soren
    Yes both firmware update and REPL are done over the UART serial.

If you're not seeing the correct device try installing the FTDI drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_3.dmg

• @jmarcelino Hi, i did not see your reply in that thread sorry.
    Looking into it now. I didn't realize the REPL and firmware update was related so closely

• @soren
    You posted a few days ago in another thread saying you were trying to use the cu.lpss-serial2 device to access the REPL on your Mac and I replied saying that wasn't the correct device.

Are you still trying to use cu.lpss-serial2 in the firmware upgrade tool? Have you found the correct device ?

• With W10 installation of the VCP (Virtual COM Port) driver is pretty straightforward.

@mmarkvoort said in Firmware upgrade troubleshooting - checklist/procedure:

I don't know if it is relevant but when i wanted to update/connect through USB I had to install the USB driver manually. Mine called FTDI driver where VCP or D2XX are types of drivers. With one of the two it said it was installed but still i coudn't update/connect.

OK, I took my notebook with Windows 10 Pro x64 with internet access and plug LoPy on Expansion Board to it for the very first time.
    Here is Device Manager just after connection:
    0_1487970349956_1st_plug.jpg
    After about 30 seconds Windows Auto Update mechanism has done all the job:
    0_1487970560498_1st_plug_wu.jpg

Pycom on Twitter