time.sleep() not accurate

• hello,
    I am transmitting around 24 packets in an interval of 5 seconds. For about first 15-20 packets this pattern looks right to me. However at the 20th packet it looks like it takes much longer than 5 seconds (time.sleep(5)).

What could be the issue? Any idea as to how to fix this ?

• @crumble also, is it fine to use the utime.time() in the receiver as well or just use it in the sender? Also i tried running the code after removing time.sleep() in the receiver but for some reason i still experience the same issue.

• @crumble thank you so much ? I will try this and let you know. But like you said this should have caused the weird pattern.

• @snehasg96

don't use sleep in the receiver.

Both clocks do not run synchronized and the code in sender and receiver has not the same timing. After a few iterations you will send a message while your receiver sleeps.

• @jcaron I followed the example in the documentation which initializes the mode and the raw socket. Then within a while loop from the transmitter side, i send ```
    Insert Code Here

s.setblocking(True)
        if utime.time() > timeout:
            break
        else:
            pass
        s.send(uos.urandom(5))
         time.sleep(5)

This is my receiver code.

while True:
        if utime.time() > timeout:
            break
        else:
            pass
        s.setblocking(True)
        data = s.recv(5)
        time.sleep(5)

my timeout = utime.time() + 2 minutes. I think it is important for both the lopy boards' codes to have the time mentioned so i have included in both my codes. However when i click reset the code works fine to transmit 24 packets within 2 minutes. But while in real time, it takes more than 2 minutes.

• @snehasg96 how much longer is “much longer”? How are you sending the packets? What are your settings? Have you measured the time.sleep itself?

Pycom on Twitter