Lost PyMakr in VSCode

• @ralph: Today I suddenly couldn't connect anymore to the extension board (3.1) with a lopy4 through the COM13 port I always use. Next I even lost Pymakr completely in VSCode.

Reading the posts in this topic, I realized I needed to upgrade VSCode to the latest version, which I did. I now have:
    Version: 1.31.1 (system setup)
    Commit: 1b8e8302e405050205e69b59abb3559592bb9e60
    Date: 2019-02-12T02:20:54.427Z
    Electron: 3.1.2
    Chrome: 66.0.3359.181
    Node.js: 10.2.0
    V8: 6.6.346.32

And I have Pymakr 1.0.6.

But I cannot connect to the lopy4 anymore: > Failed to connect (Error: Port is not open). Click here to try again.

The VSCode command 'List serial ports' yields the following:
    Found 2 serialports
    COM5 (Dell) (copied to clipboard)
    COM3 (Dell)

But I cannot connect to the lopy4. It doesn't work with COM5, not with COM3, and not with COM13.
    When I connect through COM5, the console starts producing a continuous stream like this:
    $GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,0.5,,M,,,,*00
    $GPGSV,1,1,00,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,79
    $GPGLL,,,,,235944.000,V,N
    $GPGGA,,,,,,0,0,,,M,,,,*1B
    $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*1E
    $GPGST,235944.000,,,,0,,,74
    $GPRMC,235944.000,V,,,,,,,,,,N
    $GPGSV,1,1,00,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,79
    $GPGLL,,,,,235946.000,V,N
    etc.....

What to do?

• @martinnn Good to hear!

Also, sorry for the delay on this new version guys. We'll have to work on our rebuild process a bit to keep pymakr compatible with vscode.

• @ralph OK, updated VSCode the second time today. Works with pymakr 1.0.6.

• @martinnn Make sure you run vscode 1.31. The precompiled serialport lib's are now rebuild for that version specifically.

• @ralph 1.0.6 just installed, is broken (no command bar, no connection) in VSCode 1.30

• v1.0.6 has just been released to fix these issues. Let me know if any of you are still facing any after updating.

• @curtis-hendrix Yeah 🤓 *fixed-post*

• @combaindeft Just a side note: make sure to change the update.channel setting before uninstalling 1.31. I got burned after installing 3.10, since the updater runs before the settings get saved. So 3.10 saw the old update.channel setting, so it updated to 1.31.

• @paul-thornton said in Lost PyMakr in VSCode:

@kgunnar Ralph is busy working on the fix now. Hopefully, it won't be much longer. I believe others have confirmed manually rolling back and installing VSCode 1.30 is a temp fix. but VScode seems to ignore its option telling it to not auto update at times so you may lose it again.

Jupp.

• A) 1st make sure to disable auto-update ... or it'll sneak it in again :-)

In setting, search for: update.channel ... and Choose None or Manual

0_1549637687378_Screenshot 2019-02-08 at 15.53.19.png

• @kgunnar Ralph is busy working on the fix now. Hopefully, it won't be much longer. I believe others have confirmed manually rolling back and installing VSCode 1.30 is a temp fix. but VScode seems to ignore its option telling it to not auto update at times so you may lose it again.

• @ralph Looks like you've got a job on your hands keeping up there! I hope you can update the plugin because despite me setting VS Code not to update (I was pretty sure I had) it did, so when I came to start on this tonight of course no Pymakr extension. Had to rollback VS Code again.

• I'm also having this issue. I was just using pymakr yesterday but today when I opened up VS Code today, it was nowhere to be found. Ctrl+Shift+C responds with "command 'pymakr.connect' not found". I don't recall my VS Code updating between then and now but I just checked my VS Code version:

Version: 1.31.0
    Commit: 7c66f58312b48ed8ca4e387ebd9ffe9605332caa
    Date: 2019-02-06T08:51:24.856Z
    Electron: 3.1.2
    Chrome: 66.0.3359.181
    Node.js: 10.2.0
    V8: 6.6.346.32

So it did update. I switched updating to manual but I can't use pymakr at the moment... is a fix imminent or do I need to take other steps to try and get back to work again? Is this strictly an issue with the serialport library? I also use PlatformIO with VS Code rather extensively and have never had issues connecting to serial or otherwise when VS Code has updated.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @ralph Good ol' rabbit and hedgehog game.

• @changeddaily Looks like vscode released their version with an updated version of electron, which means that the precompiled serialport library that's included in Pymakr is now out of date again. I'll rebuild it and release a hotfix for it today.

• @ralph Hi again.

Arrrggghhh! VS Code has just updated itself to version1.31 and the Pymakr extension has disappeared again.

I'll try rolling back to V1.30.2 and see if I can stop auto updates, at least for now.

Edit: Rolled back and it is working again. Changed settings to hopefully prevent future auto update.

• @changeddaily Ok good to hear! If you have any ideas on making this more user friendly for someone just starting out with vscode, let me know.

• Hi,
    I actually started with V1.30.2 and 1.0.5, I only went back to V1.25.1 as suggested in the related thread. Anyway, I've gone back to the latest for both (V1.30.2 and 1.0.5), still the same. But... I must admit I am a bit new to VSCode (I use Visual Studio) so I tried closing the "Workspace" I had created and the Pymakr toolbar appeared and it connected to the board. After a bit of investigation it turns out that I had the workspace pointing to the scripts folder so boot.py, main.py and pymakr.conf weren't seen. Changing this has fixed it.
    Thanks

• HI @ChangedDaily, which OS and which version of VSCode are you using? Try running it on vscode v1.30.2. Also try to reinstall pymakr and see if you get any errors while installing. Make sure you're installing pymakr 1.0.5.
    Let me know what happens

Pycom on Twitter