LoPy stops detecting BLE advertisements

• @Duane-Kaufman I don't strictly see all advertisements either and after some time (randomly, but usually after an hour or so) it stops entirely, so something is wrong. In my own code I now use the event callback, which enables it to do other things in parallel, but it still happens though.

• @papasmurph Using your code (modified a little :):

import time

bluetooth = Bluetooth()
    bluetooth.init()
    bluetooth.start_scan(20)

while bluetooth.isscanning():
        adv_list = bluetooth.get_adv()
        if adv_list != None:
            print("Time: {0} adv.rssi: {1}".format(time.time(), adv_list))

time.sleep(1.0)

print("I give up!")```

I do not get anything (generally). Once in a great while, I will pick up one of the three BLE devices nearby, but probably only 1 in ten times I run the script.

Duane

• @Duane-Kaufman It works fine if you fix a few bugs. Well, at least it did for me.

from network import Bluetooth
    import time

bluetooth = Bluetooth()
    bluetooth.init()
    bluetooth.start_scan(20)

if adv_list != None:
            print("Time: {0} adv.rssi: {1}".format(time.time(), adv_list.rssi))

time.sleep(0.05)

print("I give up!")

• @papasmurph Thanks for looking this over. Changed code to this, but still no response:

import time
    import binascii

bluetooth = Bluetooth()
    bluetooth.init()

bluetooth.start_scan(20)    # start scanning with 10s timeout
    	time.sleep(1)
    	if adv_list != None:
    		print("Time: {0} adv.rssi: {1}".format(time.time(), adv.rssi))
    	else:
    		print("Time: {0} adv.mac: {1}".format(time.time(), "None"))```

and I still get nothing :( as before

Duane

• @Duane-Kaufman get_adv returns a single tuple, not an array, so "for" doesn't make sense here. See the code I posted initially.

Example: (mac=b'\xb4\x99Lm\x80\xcd', addr_type=0, adv_type=0, rssi=-87, data=b'\x02\x01\x06\x03\x02\xf0\xff\x15\xffBH\xcd\x80mL\x99\xb4\xa2@\x10\x01\x00\x00\xff\xff\x0f\xff\xff\xff\x00\x00')

• @papasmurph I think I might have a bad board, as I have not been able to get BLE to see devices I can detect with my phone around me. My code:

`from network import Bluetooth
    import time
    import binascii

bluetooth = Bluetooth()
    bluetooth.init()

bluetooth.start_scan(20) # start scanning with 10s timeout
    time.sleep(1)
    adv_list = []
    if adv_list != None:
    for adv in adv_list:
    print("Time: {0} adv.mac: {1}".format(time.time(), binascii.hexlify(adv.mac)))
    else:
    print("Time: {0} adv.mac: {1}".format(time.time(), "None"))
    `
    and I get:
    MicroPython v1.8.6-607-g9c8a0e9e on 2017-05-01; LoPy with ESP32
    Login as: micro
    Password:
    Login succeeded!
    Type "help()" for more information.

import BLE_Raw
    Time: 229 adv.mac: None
    Time: 230 adv.mac: None
    Time: 231 adv.mac: None
    Time: 232 adv.mac: None
    Time: 233 adv.mac: None
    Time: 234 adv.mac: None
    Time: 235 adv.mac: None
    Time: 236 adv.mac: None
    Time: 237 adv.mac: None
    Time: 238 adv.mac: None
    Time: 239 adv.mac: None
    Time: 240 adv.mac: None
    Time: 241 adv.mac: None
    Time: 242 adv.mac: None
    Time: 243 adv.mac: None
    Time: 244 adv.mac: None
    Time: 245 adv.mac: None
    Time: 246 adv.mac: None
    Time: 247 adv.mac: None
    Time: 248 adv.mac: None`

Thanks for your review,
    Duane
    `

• @papasmurph When this happens, neither is it possible to attach to the LoPy's WiFi access point. My code still runs though.

• @jmarcelino Sadly, scanning (or detection) still stops though. After an hour or so get_adv stopped returning data, despite there being beacons close by that I hadn't moved. A hard reset got it started again.

• @papasmurph
    Yes, BLE scan type has been changed to BLE_SCAN_TYPE_PASSIVE in the latest build which should help with beacons (at the cost of losing the device name for devices which only return it after a SCAN_REQ query from an active scan)

• @stef That sounds promising. I'm now testing it continuously.

• @papasmurph
    Some BT enhancement have been listed on the official ESP32 board for the last framework version .
    My test with the last ESP Framework in C see no bug for BT detection even with more than 12h of scanning.
    Will flash one of my lopy with 1.7 and report here the result.
    Stéphane A.

• @Duane-Kaufman I note that 1.7 works better in detecting pings, even though no enhancement was listed for this specifically. It remains to see if it ever stops scanning.

• @Duane-Kaufman I've noted that they can still completely "scramble" the communication. Yes, wait for None, and you should capture all if only the loop is fast enough.

• @papasmurph Thanks for replying!

I'll keep in mind the physical separation issue. a couple of mine were pretty close together (but their advertisements should have been pretty asynchronous)

So, I should loop on get_adv until it returns None to exhaust it? I guess I never thought of that, but then again, the Example code should loop pretty fast on the get_adv call anyway?:

link to Example code

Sincerely,
    Duane

• @Duane-Kaufman I could detect multiple beacons. Note that they have to be kept apart to not interfere with each other. For each call to get_adv you get another advertisement from the queue, but the queue can only keep up to 8 values. Without any time.sleep (or at least very short), Python easily keeps up.

• Hello,

I recently started playing with my LoPy, and have a similar issue trying to harvest multiple advertisements at the same time.

Using other BLE tools, I know I have three devices advertising within range, yet I only get data from one of them when using code like in the Example for 'bluetooth.resolve_adv_data(data, data_type)' in the PyCom documentation.

In the Example code, how does one get a different advertising packet when calling bluetooth.get_adv()? Is it supposed to be simply chance timing that uncovers all of the device advertising that can be seen?

As you can probably tell, I am also a BLE newbie!

Thanks in advance!
    Duane

• Same problem here , but solved it by perfoming a deepsleep beetween scans ( as deepsleep is acting like a reset).
    I just finishing coding the same loop in C using ESP-IDF . will try it tomorow on a Generic ESP32 Board , will report here if i got the same bug . ( if not maybe that 's mean it's a Python Bug )

• @livius As far as I can see it's a real problem. After some time get_adv stops returning any data back, despite multiple beacons in close proximity. I tried calling start_scan again, but then the code stopped. I changed the code so it sleeps for a much shorter time. That way it keeps up with a huge margin. The gc.collect() is still there, but I hope I will not need it down the road. It also generally misses a lot of BLE advertisements, while a nearby phone doesn't.

• @livius Agreed, that could be the case for the short stops, even though garbage collection taking several seconds for such simple code seems strange. In any case, it doesn't explain the complete stop after a while. collect is added now for each loop and I removed the timeout. Let's see what happens.

Pycom on Twitter