SDI-12 Soil Moisture Probe Help

• Hi,

I have a large soil moisture probe which uses SDI-12 protocol :( I have connected my LoPy to an expansion board then into a RS-485 Breakout board like below.

0_1524821668162_54595e31-e691-4760-ad75-bb13bb9e236c-image.png

Here is my code just to test the output of a SDI-12 request

import network
    import time
    import pycom
    import machine
    import gc
    import socket
    import utime
    from machine import RTC
    from machine import ADC
    from machine import Pin
    from machine import UART
    from network import LoRa

execfile('/flash/Network/LoRa.py')

f_device = open('/flash/Config/Device_Details.txt', 'r')

device_setting = f_device.readline()
    device_strings = [i.strip() for i in device_setting.split(',')]
    f_device.close()

pycom.heartbeat(False)
    rtc = RTC()
    adc = ADC()
    lora = LoRa()
    uart = UART(1, baudrate=1200)
    p_tx = Pin('P3', mode=Pin.OUT)
    p_dir = Pin('P11', mode=Pin.OUT)

def SDI12(cmd):
        uart.deinit()
        p_tx.value(0)
        p_dir.value(1)                                                          # set output dir
        utime.sleep_us(12800)                                                   # send BREAK
        p_tx.value(1)
        utime.sleep_us(8333)                                                    # send MARK
        uart.init(1200, bits=7, parity=UART.EVEN, stop=1, timeout_chars=75)     # init with given parameters
        uart.write(cmd)                                                         # send command
        utime.sleep_us(8333 * len(cmd))                                         # wait to send command (byte time * command lenght)
        p_dir.value(0)                                                          # output set to read
        line = uart.readline()                                                  # read data from UART
        return line;

time.sleep(2)

while True:
        batt = adc.channel(attn=1, pin='P16')
        #s = socket.socket(socket.AF_LORA, socket.SOCK_RAW)
        #s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_LORA, socket.SO_DR, 5)
        #s.setblocking(True)
        #s.send("Battery Status : " + str(batt.value()) + " mV")
        #s.setblocking(False)
        print('--------------------------------')
        print("Battery Status     : " + str(batt.value()) + " mV")
    ##########################################################
    #                   Measure Temperature                  #
        #line = ('000312')
        utime.sleep(2)
        line = SDI12('?!')
        utime.sleep(3)
        print(line)
        #temp_time_samp = int(line[1:4])
        #temp_sens_samp = int(line[4:6])
        #print("Temp Read Time     : " + str(temp_time_samp) + " Secs")
        #print("Temp Sensor Read   : " + str(temp_sens_samp) + " Sensors")
    #                     Garbage Collect                    #
        gc.enable()
        gc.collect()
        print("Sensor Memory Free : " + str(gc.mem_free()))
        time.sleep(60)

I'm not sure if I'm handling the SDI-12 requests correctly by using an RS-485 breakout, the code doesn't fail at any point, however I get a none response. I'm guessing its something to do with the wait times between polling as the probe goes into a deep sleep mode until prompted by an address character.

• @robert-hh Thank you! i rigged up the battery and got the response. I also just tried used a DAC output on Pin22 set at 55% which is roughly 1.77V and it seems to work as well without any special power supply

dac = machine.DAC('P22') # create a DAC object
    dac.write(0.55) # set output to 55% ~1.77V

• @Bryan-Hom Sorry, I misread you diagram. Pin A has to be at a level between 0 and 3.3 V, like 1.8 V in the first diagram. You asked from where to get it, I recommended an 1.8V regulator which in turn gets it power from 5V or 3.3V. For a fist test, you should also be able to use a 1.5V battery.

• @robert-hh

Hi Robert, you seem to be the right person to be asking these questions to, but im using @jimpower's code and i followed the drawing exactly, but i cannot seem to get any reply from the sensor. Probing around my setup it looks like i have all the grounds properly connected, 5v going into to A. I made sure to put the 10k resistor between the 3.3v and the pin 4 (rx) of the pycom. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm trying to read SDI-12 from a Campbell Scientific AVW200 https://s.campbellsci.com/documents/es/manuals/avw200 - 772.pdf Thank you

import network
    import time
    import pycom
    import machine
    import gc
    import socket
    import utime
    from machine import RTC
    from machine import ADC
    from machine import Pin
    from machine import UART

pycom.heartbeat(False)
    rtc = RTC()
    adc = ADC()
    #lora = LoRa()

def SDI12(cmd):
        uart.deinit()
        p_tx.value(0)
        p_dir.value(1)                                                          # set output dir
        utime.sleep_us(12500)                                                   # send BREAK
        p_tx.value(1)
        utime.sleep_us(8333)                                                    # send MARK
        uart.init(1200, bits=7, parity=UART.EVEN, stop=1, timeout_chars=75)     # init with given parameters
        uart.write(cmd)                                                         # send command
        utime.sleep_us(8333 * len(cmd))                                               # wait to send command (byte time * command lenght)
        p_dir.value(0)                                                          # output set to read
        line = uart.readline()                                                  # read data from UART
        return line;

time.sleep(2)

while True:

utime.sleep(2)
        command = SDI12('V!')
        utime.sleep(10)
        print(command)                  #Print Sensor Response
        utime.sleep(2)
        command2 = SDI12('0V!')
        utime.sleep(10)
        print(command2)

gc.enable()
        gc.collect()
        time.sleep(15)```

• This post is deleted!

• @Bryan-Hom Yes.

• @robert-hh Thanks, so it should actually look more like this? pycom SDI-12 schematic.png

• @Bryan-Hom That's looks wrong. You can consider the 1.8V source as a function block with 3.3V/GND as input and 1.8v/GND as output.

I tried also some other circuits for a SDI-12 connection, but never connected them to real sensors. https://forum.pycom.io/topic/4827/teros-12-and-sdi-12?_=1640181173389

• @robert-hh Thank you. 1 other question, am i looking at the diagram correctly that the 1.8V + should also be tied in with the 3.3v line? Wouldn't that mean the voltage going into A is 3.3V?

• @Bryan-Hom Yuo can use a small voltage regulator and derive it from 3.3V. If

• @jimpower I know this is an old thread but where are you getting the 1.8V ref from?

• @robert-hh I'm not sure what happened but I changed my code back to the way it was before playing around with break times, uart timeout etc and it works.
    A note for anyone wanting to interface with SDI-12 with a LoPy you need to perform a gc.collect() after every read and then wait for 30secs before you can read from any other sensors.
    @robert-hh thanks for your help with this it was pivotal to getting a working SDI-12 interface.
    @AntonioValente thanks for your initial concept which lead to this solution.

• @jimpower SInce the length of the response is not known, you need astrategy to tell when the respons eis complete:

• either the response has a known terminal symbol, like ! in the command, or \r\n, then you can read until you see that symbol, and wait as second condition for a long timeout. Waitung for \r\n is done by uart.readline().
    • or you have to wait for a timeout.
      The 75 char timeout seems reasonable, but to sort out implementation errors in Micropython, you could increase that for testing and see, if you receive a longer message. Thre reason I ask is, taht I faintly remember some discussion around the rx timeout of uart.read.

• @robert-hh

yes it says technical document "coming soon"

here is a snippet of my uart.readline()

0_1525864184011_ddb7c828-d942-44ba-9bc5-e1cc5bd7501c-image.png

Do you think this timeout_chars is correct? I wasn't sure what to put in here.

uart.init(1200, bits=7, parity=UART.EVEN, stop=1, timeout_chars=75)```

• @jimpower Thanks. The code looks principly OK. What happens if you increase the receive timeout?

The documentation of the product is weird. Why cannot they include a proper protocol definition? Did you see b.t.w. CR/LF transmitted at the end of response messages?

• @robert-hh

I'm using an Enviropro EP100G-12 which has 12 rows of sensors at 10cm intervals, each row contains a temp, moisture and ec sensor.

http://enviroprosoilprobes.com/Files/EnviroPro_SDI-12_CommandsV2.pdf

http://enviroprosoilprobes.com/Files/EnviroPro_EPCU_User_ManualV3.pdf

import network
    import time
    import pycom
    import machine
    import gc
    import socket
    import utime
    from machine import RTC
    from machine import ADC
    from machine import Pin
    from machine import UART
    from network import LoRa

execfile('/flash/Network/LoRa.py')

f_device = open('/flash/Config/Device_Details.txt', 'r')

device_setting = f_device.readline()
    device_strings = [i.strip() for i in device_setting.split(',')]
    f_device.close()

pycom.heartbeat(False)
    rtc = RTC()
    adc = ADC()
    lora = LoRa()

def SDI12(cmd):
        uart.deinit()
        p_tx.value(0)
        utime.sleep_us(14000)                                                   # send BREAK
        p_tx.value(1)
        utime.sleep_us(8333 * len(cmd))                                         # wait to send command (byte time * command lenght)
        line = uart.read(75)                                                   # read data from UART
        return line;

time.sleep(2)

while True:
        batt = adc.channel(attn=1, pin='P16')
        #s = socket.socket(socket.AF_LORA, socket.SOCK_RAW)
        #s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_LORA, socket.SO_DR, 5)
        #s.setblocking(True)
        #s.send("Battery Status : " + str(batt.value()) + " mV")
        #s.setblocking(False)
        print("Battery Status     : " + str(batt.value()) + " mV")
        utime.sleep(2)
        line = SDI12('?!')              #Wake Up Sensor
        print(line)                     #Print Sensor Response
        utime.sleep(3)                  #Wait before Next Cmd
        line = SDI12('0C2!')            #Probe Temp Measure
        print(line)                     #Print Time/Sensors
        utime.sleep(5)                  #Wait before Next Cmd
        data = SDI12('0D0!')            #Probe Temp Readings
        print(data)                     #Print Temp Readings
        #utime.sleep(10)
        #data = SDI12('0D1!')            #Probe Temp Readings
        #print(data)                     #Print Temp Readings

gc.enable()
        gc.collect()
        time.sleep(30)```

• @jimpower Code and exact sensor product name would be helpful. I found a data sheet telling that the longest response string is 80 bytes. That should not be a problem with the UART. The Rx buffer length is set to 512 bytes.

• @robert-hh I am getting responses from the SDI-12 Probe now, the reading of the sensors is working I just can't get the full read (maybe due to the size of it) could you help me to understand how to increase the buffer size to get all readings. Please see below the commands and their expected responses.

This works correctly

CMD - '?!' (Probe Address)
    RES - '0'

This works correctly

CMD - '02C' (Take Temp Reading)
    RES - '000312' (1-4 is the time taken to read sensors 5-6 is the amount of sensors read)

This doesn't show all readings

CMD - '0D0' (Show Temp Readings first 8 sensors)
    RES - '0+028.12+027.24+027.03+026.78+026.65+025.45+023.34+021.21' (temp readings after each +0)
    ***Only some of the readings show I have never been able to get more then 6 show at a time.

This doesn't seem to work yet

CMD - '0D1' (Show temp readings last 4 sensors)
    RES - '0+028.12+027.24+027.03+026.78'

Hopefully it is just a buffer size issue and the payload is not too large.

• @robert-hh

Updated, does this look correct?

0_1525385572033_40ebf708-7761-4251-af56-fa8d7c5bf413-image.png

With this I did manage to receive something although not correct I am getting closer

0_1525385694132_a9564345-ab2e-4072-ac71-a40f3d200ce3-image.png

• @jimpower RS485 is a symmetrical differential interface of at least +/- 200 mV The SDI-12 uses 5V logic levels, the xxPys a 3.3 V level. The RS485 is (mis-)used to create a half duplex interface AND to do the level transformation.
    Looking at the data sheet It is now clear to me why the 1.8 V is needed. The max output level of the RS485 to the sensor is 3.3 V. To achieve 5V, the 1.8 V is added.

Pycom on Twitter