Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-)

• I tend to like to plug in my board when doing a lot of development. So my tools are Atom and rshell. This is partly because I write on multiple processors and USB is the simple common denominator.
    https://github.com/dhylands/rshell

• When a beta?
    Anxious for a beta because Pymakr does not work here.

• This is the way to go. I use PyDev within the Eclipse environment. Do you see a plug in developed for this? (Thank you).

• @mo-seph I created this just for you https://forum.pycom.io/category/30/hardware ;-) Hope we can help resolve this!

• @bucknall hardware.

• how come are these 4 the "most popular"? you gotta be kidding me...
    eclipse and idea?

• @mo-seph Is it specifically related to the hardware or firmware? I'm still working on streamlining the forum categories so might need a new one!

• @bucknall Great! BTW - I have some feedback and suggestions for improvement on the boards. Where's the best place to send it?

• @mo-seph What we will likely do is have a pre-packaged IDE (likely Atom) that already has everything installed after you download it. This way you can just direct your students to navigate towards our software page and download everything you need pre-installed.

We're working on file upload over USB Serial, this is on the roadmap. In addition to this, the SSID that each device broadcasts will be written on the sticker on top of the LoPy (as well as the other devices) for the next production run of devices.

• I'm looking at the LoPy for educational use, and having everything all together in Pymakr was quite useful - it becomes much harder if we have to support student's individual IDEs and strange setups. It's probably manageable though, if we come up with a single, cross platform supported solution.

The thing that is really tricky, though, is the FTP uploads, as they need to be done over the LoPy's wifi, and in a room with 20 LoPys that becomes really challenging. Is anything planned for doing file uploads over the USB serial?

• @MaSePreetz said in Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-):

But i would like to point out that the possibility to get the REPL on the console inside the IDE
    is very important.

I am new to Python and am struggling with the syntax (doing Java and JavaScript for my living). The REPL
    gives me the opportunity to test my code while developing with direct feedback and print() debugging.
    This is really beneficial.

Having the REPL is great, and impressive on such a constrained device. But does it really make a difference to your dev workflow whether it's in the same window as your editor or in a terminal next to it?

Or, if it must be in the same window, Atom at least has a few plugins that can do that:
    https://atom.io/packages/terminal-plus
    https://atom.io/packages/atom-terminal-panel
    and probably others.

Pete

• Pybytes Beta

@bucknall
    Hi Alex,

in my opinion dropping PyMakr makes sense.

But i would like to point out that the possibility to get the REPL on the console inside the IDE
    is very important.

I am new to Python and am struggling with the syntax (doing Java and JavaScript for my living). The REPL
    gives me the opportunity to test my code while developing with direct feedback and print() debugging.
    This is really beneficial.

In addition i witnessed that within our company we setup a LoPy within minutes for a simple demo
    by using PyMakr, your demo projects and feedback on the REPL loop.
    So this REPL integration is crucial (at least for starters, not so much for experts).

The same applies for a simple file transfer/sync mechanism.

I know that it is possible to achieve all this with several other tools in combination, but this is
    rather old-fashioned. (i worked with and appreciated emacs, telnet, the command line, but in
    my spare time i love integrated IDEs as a one-stop shop!)

I am eager to see your plugins,
    Marc

• @bucknall said in Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-):

We aren't reallocating resources to put work on these plugins in front of developing the device firmware, it's simply moving the effort from Pymakr over to these new plugins.

If the Pymakr developers don't have the right skill-set for the firmware, or if the nature of the firmware work or its development process means they'd just be tripping over each other with the existing folks, then fine. Otherwise, let's have 'em on @jasonriedy's DeepSleep, or whatever causes me to be kicked out the REPL when I try to inspect the WLAN config :-)

Pete

• As an Emacs user, file transfer and console access are fine. I'd rather have deep sleep on the LoPy...

• @jomifo Thanks for letting me know - would you mind dropping me a DM or email pointing to what is breaking with the new builds? I'll see if we can pinpoint the problem.

Point noted about Vim, I'd definitely be interested in that too haha! I think unfortunately that will fall behind the four tools I highlight as we need to prioritise but I would also love to maybe one day see a Vim plugin!

• Pybytes Beta

Thanks @bucknall for the further information. FWIW, I'm a heavy vim (with a plethora of plugins) and terminal user, so I'll put my hat in the ring for a vim plugin.

Also, an unrelated topic- I believe I've seen numerous posts in regards to new builds breaking people's code and maybe even breaking published examples. I would suggest some simple code-driven tests and a automated testing framework of some sort.

• @jomifo @Pete One of our promises is to ensure that the tech is accessible to anyone starting to use it, so we do intend to dedicate time towards building these plugins. This, however will not detract from any engineering effort on maturing the firmware! We aren't reallocating resources to put work on these plugins in front of developing the device firmware, it's simply moving the effort from Pymakr over to these new plugins. We're still very much pushing as fast as we can with the firmware updates and I intend to try to make the development process more visible to everyone across the next couple of weeks.

In regards to beginner tools, it may end up that there is a solution similar to platformio, which would effectively be the atom editor with Pymakr plugin pre-installed for beginners.

• Pybytes Beta

@danielm Same for me, waiting forward for Sublime plugin.

• At this stage, I would prefer as many dev resources as possible on maturing the firmware.

Yes, exactly.

This is the essential work, custom tools are a nice-to-have.

The good basic design of the system (using standard interfaces, ie telnet, FTP, serial) means that special tools are not required. The Pycom team should be reaping the benefit of that by deferring tooling work for now, in favour of the core.

Pete

• Pybytes Beta

@bucknall Just my 2 cents- I think most developers can get by fairly well without official IDE plugins. At this stage, I would prefer as many dev resources as possible on maturing the firmware. Although, I realize this may not be possible because of operational structure and developer skills.

Pycom on Twitter