BME280 on the LoPy

• @robert-hh I've done changes as you said but got the NameError as:

"name 'little' is not defined". How can I solve it?
    Thank You.

• @devang-sharma The required positional argument is 'little' in the call of from_bytes(). The API was changed a while ago. You have to modify the script BM280.py into:

result = int.from_bytes(
                self._i2c.readfrom_mem(self._address, register, 2), little) & 0xFFFF

The same in function readU8().

• Hello Everyone,
    I'm using LoPy and I've got the similar type of error as @binux got.

I'm getting the following error:
    0_1507818167256_error1.png

This is my code:
    0_1507818190356_code1.png

Please guide me solving this!
    Thank You.

• @Butch
    That looks to be it. The I2C address was 77, not 76... weird. I did not think to check the I2C address.

Thanks!

• @ledbelly2142 It's possible that it's a bad sensor. Do you have another one to try? You might also check to make sure that i2c.scan() is returning the same address that is used in the BME280 library. If it isn't, you'll have to change the address in the library.

• @Butch

For me, the issue comes up from :
    bme = bme280.BME280(i2c=i2c)

Thats where I get the errors indicating an I2C bus error.

I SDA on pin 9 and SCL on pin 10.

Could it be a bad sensor?

So I unplugged the BME280 sensor and got the same error.

• @ledbelly2142 Try following the line of logic I tried in the python REPL: import, instantiate, and initialize:

>>> from machine import I2C
    >>> import bme280
    >>> i2c = I2C(0, I2C.MASTER, baudrate=100000)
    >>> bme = bme280.BME280(i2c=i2c)

See where that takes you.

The original problem I ran into and ultimate fixed was that the 8- and 16-bit writes needed the value to be written to be a bytearray, not the raw value. Beyond that, all I added was a wrapper for altitude.

• @Butch
    I still have the same issue, just updated to the latest firmware 1.7.5.b2
    In the main.py I'm just trying to print out values in the console, I have:

import pycom
    from machine import I2C
    import time
    import bme280 # from bme280

i2c = I2C(0, I2C.MASTER, baudrate=100000)
    i2c.scan()
    #i2c = machine.I2C(0, pins=('GP11', 'GP10'))
    bme = bme280.BME280(i2c=i2c)

pycom.heartbeat(False)

temp = BME280.temperature()
    humid = BME280.humidity()
    press = BME280.pressure()
    alti = BME280.altitude()

#for cycles in range(10): # stop after 10 cycles
    while(true):
        print(temp) # read temperature
        time.sleep(2)
        print(humid) # read humidity
        time.sleep(2)
        print(press) # read Pressure
        time.sleep(2)
        print(alti) # read altitude
        time.sleep(2)

• @Butch
    yup, thats what I'm using. I forked it. Why the init.py file?

• @ledbelly2142 said in BME280 on the LoPy:

I am trying to use the same library with a BME280 and am experienceing the exact same issue with firmware version 1.7.4.b1
    same error:

Traceback (most recent call last):                                                                                      
      File "main.py", line 9, in <module>                                                                                   
      File "bme280.py", line 198, in init                                                                               
      File "bme280.py", line 204, in _load_calibration                                                                      
      File "bme280.py", line 164, in readU16LE                                                                              
      File "bme280.py", line 147, in readU16

Did anyone get this to work?

Try my fork of the library: https://github.com/ButchAnton/LoPy_BME280

• I am trying to use the same library with a BME280 and am experienceing the exact same issue with firmware version 1.7.4.b1
    same error:

Traceback (most recent call last):                                                                                      
      File "main.py", line 9, in <module>                                                                                   
      File "bme280.py", line 198, in init                                                                               
      File "bme280.py", line 204, in _load_calibration                                                                      
      File "bme280.py", line 164, in readU16LE                                                                              
      File "bme280.py", line 147, in readU16

Did anyone get this to work?

• You have to specifiy the address when creating the sensor object:
    def __init__(self, address, i2c):. I don't see the address getting the default address assigned here, maybe that's your issue?

edit:
    I was looking at the wrong class
    address=BME280_I2CADDR

It gets the default address from there
    self._device = Device(address, i2c)

• @binux I am seeing exactly the same problem with 1.6.10b1. I have Vin on the BME280 tied to 3.3v on the LoPy, I have ground on the BME280 tied to gnd on the LoPy, I have SDA on the BME280 tied to pin P9 on the LoPy, and I have SCL on the BME280 tied to pin P10 on the LoPy.

>>> from machine import I2C
    >>> import bme280
    >>> i2c = I2C(0, I2C.MASTER, baudrate=100000)
    >>> i2c.scan()
    [118]
    >>> bme = bme280.BME280(i2c=i2c)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
      File "bme280.py", line 186, in __init__
      File "bme280.py", line 192, in _load_calibration
      File "bme280.py", line 152, in readU16LE
      File "bme280.py", line 135, in readU16
    OSError: I2C bus error

As you can see, the I2C bus has something on it at hex address 0x76 (118 decimal). However, initializing the BME280 fails.

Any help, anyone? Please?

Thanks!

• @sakis
    I see that I2C work back in 1.6.9 :)

• @sakis
    I will try to minimize code but i can't promise that this will be today

but you can try @binux sample (i did not tried it self) - maybe this is minimal code to reproduce.

• @livius

Hi Livius,

Can you give an example of the minimum code to reproduce this issue (preferably on GitHub)?

• @binux
    As i say - current firmware (1.6.8.b1) introduce some bug with I2C or bring it more visible then previously.
    You must downgrade firmware to 1.6.7 or wait for new firmware release.

• @livius Okay, tell me why - I'm running the latest firmware. Which was i think 1.6.8b1 - just updated today...

Anyhow, would this library work with the fix propsed on the other thread or would I still have to change something?

• This post is deleted!

Pycom on Twitter